Please sign in to post.

Granada-Seville-Madrid May 2023

Hello!
We finally booked flights last night and so dates are firm! My 19 yo daughter and I will be traveling to Spain. This is her belated HS graduation trip and one purpose is to take her belated Senior pictures in Spain. Better late than never! Before I list our itinerary for your expert advice, I want to let you know that my daughter will be doing study abroad in Barcelona in 1 year so she wants to explore Madrid in depth at that time.
Our only purpose in Madrid on this trip is to do a photo shoot and to fly out of there. I personally think Seville is a prettier place for pictures but that's not my choice ;)

5/8- Arrive Madrid at 7:50 AM.
Take AVE to Granada - Check into hotel (Sleep in Granada)
5/9 - Alhambra (Sleep in Granada)
5/10- Explore Granada (Sleep in Granada)
5/11 - Take AVE to Seville - Check into hotel (Sleep in Seville)
5/12 - Explore Seville (Sleep in Seville)
5/13 - Day trip to Cordoba or Ronda (Sleep in Seville)
5/14 - take AVE to Madrid - Check into hotel (Sleep in Madrid)
5/15 - Photo shoot in morning and explore what we can in the afternoon (sleep in Madrid)
5/16 - Fly home

questions:
Any recommendation for photographers in Madrid and Seville (incase she chooses Seville). If we do Photoshoot in Seville add one more night to Seville and only stay one night in Madrid.

Day trip to Cordoba or Ronda ( we will only do one) recommended or just stay in Seville and enjoy the city?
If yes to daytrip, any private tour companies you recommend? we would like a guided day trip.
That's it for now, and thank you in advance for your time.
Grace

Posted by
11127 posts

Do not miss Cordoba and La Mesquita! It is one the world’s treasures. Cordoba itself is a nice smaller city.

Posted by
1596 posts

If I were to do a day trip from Seville, I would definitely choose Cordoba. It is a much more important city historically and culturally than Ronda. Cordoba has the amazing Mezquita and other lovely sites, such as the Alcazar, Palacio de Viana, Roman Bridge, and the Juderia. Wandering around the Juderia is wonderful with its maze of narrow streets, white-washed buildings, patios, and flowers.

However, you only have 3 nights in Seville. Do you know what time you will arrive in Seville and when will you depart? Seville is larger than Cordoba and you really need more time there to see all the wonderful and important sites.

One thing you could do is stop in Cordoba on your way back to Madrid. It's only a 45-minute train ride from Seville. I would not go to Cordoba on May 13. Instead, I would visit Cordoba on May 14. So take an early morning train from Seville (let's say around 9AM) to Cordoba, and then stay as long as you want, based on the train schedule back to Madrid.

Posted by
8124 posts

They're all beautiful cities--including Madrid. We found them to be much less expensive places to travel vs. the U.K., France or Germany.

It's a shame that you'll be 1 hour by budget European airline from Barcelona. It'd be nice to visit there to get her feet on the ground before moving there for college. It's a large enough city to where the move could be a little intimidating for someone that's never been there.

We flew from Granada to Barcelona and later took a fast train to Paris.

Posted by
6486 posts

Another vote for Cordoba over Ronda. Ronda is fine but much smaller and much farther from Seville -- 2+ hours by bus vs. 45 minutes for Cordoba by train. Cordoba would be a reasonable day trip from Seville, but why not do that on the way to Madrid? Googling "luggage storage Cordoba train station" yielded several options that looked reasonable, though you'd want to research this more yourself. Or you might consider shifting your last Seville night to Cordoba.

Posted by
3816 posts

We were just in Spain. We loved Seville the best. I would definitely choose to see and visit the cathedral in Cordoba, even over the Alhambra. We were underwhelmed by it, maybe because it had so much hype. Anyway, A day trip or a pass through Cordoba will not disappoint. We booked a tour of the cathedral through AntenCordoba.com.

Posted by
60 posts

To the 5 advice above, thank you so much!
So far:
We will definitely do Cordoba and drop Ronda. Just no time for it unfortunately.
We will also visit Cordoba on our way to Madrid and utilize the luggage storage and book a tour so we maximize our time there. What great suggestions!

Now, for each cities, do you have favorite restaurant recommendations? We appreciate different cultures and love to eat like locals.

Thank you.

Grace

Posted by
7256 posts

I hope you realize how much hotel-change and train time you are going to have. This is a "flying" trip to Spain. Even understanding that you are not trying to "see Madrid." Three nights in Seville are fine. I would say that Granada is more interesting, and even exotic than Seville, although Seville has "more to do."

Consider Carmona/Italica near Seville, if interested. I agree that Cordoba is a better choice than Ronda. I have not been to Cordoba, but you might just check if it makes any sense to take one night from Seville and sleep in Cordoba on the way to Madrid.

Posted by
3893 posts

To be honest, I think you're making a mistake doing the photo shoot in Madrid. As a Spaniard it sounds to me like wanting to do a photo shoot in Washington DC, seems kind of weird unless you're a government official lol

Honestly I would choose Cordoba, my favorite town in Andalucia. With its narrow whitewashed cobblestone streets full with vibrant flowers and colors, it is the epitome of the intoxicating charm of Andalucia.

Just Google images of Cordoba streets Spain and you'll see what I mean. May should be lovely with all the flowers full bloom.

Posted by
1942 posts

I agree with Carlos-unless you are doing the shoot in Retiro Park or the gardens off of the Prado, having a photo shoot in Madrid is probably the least photogenic place in Spain. I say this as a woman who loved Madrid, just don't know that if I was going to wonderful cities in Andalusia, I'd pick Madrid.

Posted by
27053 posts

FYI, the luggage storage spot in Cordoba most often mentioned is at the bus station, which is very near the train station. There's no storage option at the train station itself. You are traveling at a popular time of year. There have been warnings posted here about high demand for lockers at the Cordoba bus station, with suggestions that travelers make sure thay have appropriate funds in hand (I guess that means coins, but I don't know which denominations) and rush off the train, straight to the bus station. I'd plan ahead by researching other storage spots just in case there are no lockers available when you arrive. (Taking a really early train would no doubt help.) You can do that by Googling luggage storage Cordoba.

Posted by
60 posts

I couldn’t agree more about photoshoot location 🤣
I’m going to have my daughter read these comments/advice and see if she’ll change her mind.
Thank you for the helpful tips about luggage storage situation!
Grace

Posted by
15576 posts

Cordoba is absolutely the perfect place for a photo shoot. How about going to Cordoba on arrival. Stay 2-3 nights, then Sevilla, Granada and overnight in Madrid for the flight home.

Posted by
60 posts

You all convinced my daughter to change her photoshoot location to Seville or Cordoba! Thank you.
So as of now, upon arrival to Madrid, we will head to Seville for 5 night, then to Granada for 2 night then to Madrid for last night to fly home.

Another question. should we fly to Seville or take AVE? We arrive MAD at 7:45 AM.

If maximizing time is our only priority, which route is the best?
Thank you.

Grace

Posted by
3893 posts

You all convinced my daughter to change her photoshoot location to Seville or Cordoba!

Hurray!

I'd say take a connecting flight directly from Madrid to Sevilla, then work your way back up to Madrid via the AVE high speed train, stopping in Cordoba for a night or two along the way.

Posted by
6486 posts

I agree with Carlos, assuming that there's a connecting flight from MAD to Seville that hits the sweet spot -- enough time to clear passport control and allow for a possible arrival delay, not so much that you're stuck in the airport longer than necessary. I'm conservative about layovers so I'd say about three hours between flights, but others with more MAD experience would know better.

And your new plan should allow at least one night in Cordoba, which takes care of any luggage storage problem there.

Posted by
597 posts

I say Rhonda.

No, not really. I vote for Cordoba. It's an easy train ride and the Mesquita is a must see.

Posted by
1596 posts

I agree with Dick that your new plan should include at least one night in Cordoba.

Posted by
60 posts

We are considering flying from Madrid to Seville upon arrival.
We arrive in Madrid May 8, 2023 at 7:50 AM.
11:35AM is the flight to Seville...am I cutting it too close? the next flight is not til 7:55 pm.
Anyone with experience that can give some advice please?
Thank you in advance.

Posted by
145 posts

Re photographers, I have seen lots of cities with "experiences" on airbnb that include a photographer following you around for a set number of hours and/or taking you to pretty locations to take pictures of you. Not sure if they have them in spain specifically but I'd start there.

Posted by
15576 posts

Or take the train from Madrid to Cordoba and start your trip there. I'm a worrywart so I'd be too fretful of missing a connecting flight to relax from now until I were boarding that flight.

Posted by
60 posts

Happy New Year Forum Friends!
I am trying to book train tickets from Seville to Granada (one way) for May 13, 2023.
I am very confused because I tried Renfe.com and can't find anything. Is it too early to book for May?
I did find tickets on Rail.Ninja.com for $79(US Dollars) for one person. Is this the normal fare?
I don't mind booking at this rate as long as this is a legit site and I won't run into any problems later on.
Thank you for your advice.
Grace

Posted by
693 posts

Hi, Grace. It’s too early for tickets for May. Renfe typically posts fares about 60 days out, although it can be earlier (90 days) or later. It’s not terribly predictable.

Just keep checking, and I would definitely NOT use the railninja site!

Posted by
60 posts

DebVT,
Thank you for your advice.
I will keep checking and buy on Renfe.com. website.
I am able to buy tickets on Renfe.com for Cordoba on May 11. I guess May 13 just isn't available yet.
Grace

Posted by
60 posts

Is it also normal to enter Passport number to purchase Renfe Train tickets?

Posted by
4045 posts

Grace, yes, it is. You also have to do the same for purchasing Alhambra tickets.

You are lucky. I have only been able to purchase tickets through mid-March for my routes end of March.

I will add that the Renfe app is very useful and easy to use.