Please sign in to post.

Granada

My friends and I are only able to fit in one day at Granada the first second week of May. On Viatar they only have two tours left for a small group tour of Alhambra. One on Sunday the other Thursday. I expect it to be very crowded, but thought maybe Thursday would be less so. Is this true? After touring Alhambra will I want to stay and see more of Granada or start traveling back to Malaga and maybe see some other sites along the way back like Nerja?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted by
2768 posts

The Alhambra sells out most every day, so I would think the crowds would be the same. If they offer X tickets per day and it always sells out then there should be no difference.

I love Granada and think you will want to see more. The main city has a nice cathedral and royal tombs, but it's the Albayzin that makes the city special. You at least want to wander around up there and go to San Nicholas viewpoint (which is insanely touristy, but for a good reason, especially at sunset). There are other viewpoints that are nearly as good and less busy. The fun is wandering and finding them.

Posted by
16893 posts

I would not cut time in Granada to add the stop in Nerja, since you already have Malaga as a beach destination and Granada has more to see.

Posted by
5213 posts

Vsb,

After touring Alhambra will I want to stay and see more of Granada

I agree with Mira, we enjoyed walking around the Albaicín, as well as visiting the cathedral, the Royal Chapel, and the shops along the streets behind the cathedral.

One of the highlights of our visit, besides visiting the Alhambra, was going to the Mirador San Nicolás to witness the spectacular views of the Alhambra at sunset, while enjoying a delicious meal at a restaurant across the street from the mirador.

If you choose to visit the Alhambra on your own, you'll want to book your Alhambra tickets now, and thereby choosing a day and time of your choice.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much for all your replies and great advice. I did book a small group three hour tour on a Saturday and then plan on spending the rest of the day seeing all the wonderful sites in Granada. I hope to definitely find a wonderful place to enjoy the wonderful sunset.

Posted by
5213 posts

I hope to definitely find a wonderful place to enjoy the wonderful sunset.

This is very easy to do...

You take the C-1 Minibus from Plaza Nueva to the San Nicolás Mirador, then go to the the gardens behind the Mosque of Granada, to the right of the mirador [facing the mirador (super crowded) with your back toward the Alhambra], take a few photos; then go to the terrace (bar area) of the El Huerto de Juan Ranas Restaurant (go through the wooden gate) and enjoy a delicious snack, meal, dessert, or just a drink.
Try to get there at least an hour before sunset otherwise you won't find a place to sit!

Better yet, you may want to make a reservation in advance. We enjoyed sitting on the terrace, right next to the bar, so I don't really know what the restaurant is like.

Enjoy!