Please sign in to post.

Good town for one month. (May 2024]

We are good traveling Italy, but want to start to explore Spain. Asking for recommendations for a good location in a smaller town to base for a month. Just starting to plan, a smaller town with access to train and bus, or smaller yet location and we’d rent or lease a car for that time, . great to have easy access for hiking or a bit of beach.

We are retired and want to get a feel for living in one place and experiencing the culture and for living in Europe. Don’t need nightlife…..no bars, concerts etc.

Posted by
27618 posts

Have you done this in Italy? If so, what town(s) worked for you?

Posted by
4131 posts

It would depend on time of year... maybe also what you consider a small town, for Americans it may be a "small town" what is actually a city for us Spanish. Let's say around 100k pop?

In Spring, I look at Cadiz or Cáceres‎ or Jaén

In Summer, you can try Oviedo, Lugo, or Logroño

In Autumn, consider Girona, Tarragona, or Cuenca

In Winter, I'd say Cartagena, Toledo, or Granada

Posted by
110 posts

I wouldn't say that they are smaller, but the following could be good bases for a month. We really enjoyed these northern cities this May: Zaragosa, Logrono (Rioja wine country), Salamanca, and Burgos. To be a little closer to beaches, perhaps consider Getxo near Bilbao, or somewhere outside of San Sebastian (which also puts you near France). We are retired and had a car. We found the driving to be quite easy. The northern Basque coastal areas are quite stunning and there are lots of opportunities for easy hiking. Because these areas get a fair amount of rain, they are very green and lush. Something to consider.

Posted by
7024 posts

Of the places Carlos mentioned I think good ones to take day trips from are Cáceres, Logroño, and Lugo. There are so many smaller towns, villages, and nature areas near those that you could easily occupy a month. Having a rental car would be advantageous in rural Spain since many really small towns don’t have train service and only sporadic bus service.

Posted by
570 posts

hi Ellen,

several people have mentioned Logroño, and I am going to second it. I am sure that the other smaller cities have many plus, but I think that you will like Logroño and La Rioja.

Most welcoming places in the world 2023 according to the Booking.com Traveler Review Awards are:

La Rioja, Spain
Epirus, Greece
Oberösterreich, Austria
County Down, U.K.
Mures, Romania
Marlborough, New Zealand
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Limon, Costa Rica
Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
North Dakota, U.S.

There is a good regional bus system and you can get to most of the bigger villages by bus. Logroño is also served by Alavabus which will get you all the Rioja Alavesa, plus to Vitoria and even Bilbao. Of course there is also good bus service to Burgos, Pamplona, Soria, and Zaragoza. Madrid is also easily reached by bus.

There are lots of smaller sites to visit in villages for nice day trips.

Rick Steves has never liked Logroño, but it has changed a lot in the last years. It may still not be a tourist must, but as a place to stay/live it is great. Our last mayor (just changed last week) was working hard to make the city a European Green City. That means that there are lots of green space, and an emphasis it placed on making the city pedestrian first/friendly (among many criteria). The town is surrounded by parks, especially by the river, and are quite nice to stroll in. We also have the highest per capital of Michelin Stars.

I hope that helps a bit.