Please sign in to post.

Gibraltar

We are doing the RS Spain trip next august ending in Seville. Has anyone taken a day trip to Gibraltar? Was it worth it, which company did you use?
Thanks

Posted by
6788 posts

I've gone a couple times when I was in the neighborhood, years ago. No tour, I just found my way around, enjoyed the views and the fresh air, and avoided getting "aped." Was it worth it? Yeah, it was kind of fun, and interesting, but I enjoy historic stuff that others see as just piles of rubble. I picked up a chunk of stone to bring home (still have it on my desktop, right here....so I can point to it and say "I own a piece of the rock" (ask your dad...). I'm sure others might find the whole thing eye-rollingly boring. The city (town?) of Gibraltar is certainly a bit odd, an anachronistic mix of fading bits of Yee Olde British Empire, and Mediterranean charms (there are other places you can get that - Malta was chock full of it!).

"Is it worth it" is always highly subjective, because tastes and priorities when you have limited time vary quite a bit. And "worth it" compared to what alternative? I mean, I wouldn't drive all day to get there, I wouldn't prioritize it over lots of other things (a visit to any of the Pueblos Blancos, a couple hours in the Prado, or having a leisurely breakfast of piping hot churros dipped in warm chocolate pudding...I'd take any of those over climbing the Rock, but I already had made time for those things...besides, I got a free paperweight out of it!). YMMV.

Posted by
27122 posts

The Best of Spain tour gives you less than two full days in Seville and no time at all in Cordoba. I'd remedy those situations long before I went to Gibraltar. I liked Cadiz and Malaga as well. Gibraltar has never seemed interesting enough to me to end up on my itinerary, but I bet nearly everyone who has been to those places as well as to Gibraltar would rank Gibraltar last. (And there's more in Andalucia I'm not mentioning.)

Posted by
7559 posts

Not been, but am looking at it for a trip in April. There are a number of Youtube videos from travel people showing what there is, what to do, etc.

To be honest, even though we will be passing right by, I am leaning toward skipping. I saw the videos, sure it is sort of interesting, if you want pub grub that's a plus, maybe some shopping at UK branded stores if that is an attraction, the ride to the top is pricey if you include the separate sights. But overall, it left me sort of "meh".

Posted by
5758 posts

I've been a couple of times. The first time on the service bus from Fuengirola - when I did all the touristy stuff
The second time on a Cruise call when I caught the bus to Europa Point then meandered back through the residential neighbourhoods of the West coast, finding a lot of the hidden history, then the Cathedral and a couple of other Churches.
I like it, I would like a 3rd visit for the East coast, where the smart hotels and condos are.
As a brit it maybe means more than it would to an American. And yes I've placed it higher in my priorities than some of the other places mentioned in other replies, but that's me and my way of travelling. I would be the first to admit to not being that well travelled in Spain, having mainly concentrated on Bilbao and Santander.

Posted by
6546 posts

I’ve been there twice years ago but had a rental car and the visit was part of a longer trip. I enjoyed going up the rock and seeing the Barbary macaques. I can’t say I’d go there with limited time or at the expense of spending more time in Sevilla or Córdoba.

One reason we originally visited it was because when we lived in Spain in the late 70s, the Spanish government closed the border and one couldn’t get to it from Spain. During that period we visited La Línea de la Concepción a few times and could only look across at the rock.

Posted by
7312 posts

We made a daytrip to Gibraltar with our rental car, from three nights in Ronda. Although the highways were excellent, the traffic and truck speeds made for a slow trip. We found it was not worth it. As others noted, that is very much a matter of opinion.

I mean it in an ironic way, but you forgot the RS imperative to take a ferry to a "thrilling, exciting day in" Morocco, which I doubt is worth it. (Have been to Morocco with two cruise stops.)

Posted by
501 posts

I wouldn’t bother. It feels like a British garrison town, but hotter. And with apes. Compared to the glories of Andalucia, it’s just not very nice.

Posted by
27122 posts

Nick, the tour doesn't set foot in Cordoba or provide adequate time in Seville. With enough time in Spain, I wouldn't tell someone absolutely not to go to Gibraltar, but Wendy doesn't have that much time.