Please sign in to post.

Getting around

We our planning our first trip to Spain in October 2018. We will fly into Barcelona . The current plan is
Barcelona 3 nights
San Sebastian/Bilbao 2-3 nights,
Salamanca 2 nights,
Granada 2 nights,
Sevilla 2 nights,
Toledo 1 night or side trip from Madrid,
Madrid 3 nights.
Some of these places are quite a far distance and would prefer to fly if fast train is not available or too long a trip. Does this itinerary sound doable and how would you suggest getting from place to place? We fly home from Madrid.
Thanks,
Sheila

Posted by
7811 posts

Some of these places are quite a far distance and would prefer to fly if fast train is not available or too long a trip.

You got too much but I tried to make it a little more tolerable since I hate long train rides:

Barcelona 3 nights
You got to fly to Granada from Barcelona.
Granada 2 nights
Then by train or bus to Seville
Seville 2 nights
Then train to Madrid
Madrid 5 nights
Toledo daytrip
Salamanca daytrip
Fly to San Sebastian
San Sebastian 3 nights
daytrip Bilbao
Fly back to Madrid

You have to cut something

Posted by
27063 posts

I think you're going to feel as if you hardly know where you are by the middle of the trip. That's a lot of places (7) for a 15- or 16-night trip, and you are cutting some places very short. Two nights somewhere gives you just one day and a few hours; it takes more time than you might imagine to check in and out of hotels, get yourself to a train station, etc.

As your first stop, Barcelona may find you seriously sleep-deprived and jetlagged on your first (partial) day, so you're really only giving it two days. The city has a wealth of sights, many of which need pre-purchased, timed tickets so you don't have to spend a lot of time in ticket lines. It's difficult to be an efficient traveler when you have to reserve slots for so many sights without knowing how much time each will take. You have to pad the schedule quite a bit or risk not having enough time to see the sights you've paid for.

The Basque Country is very interesting, but it's awkward to get to. Yes, you can fly, but don't discount the time you'll spend getting to the airport, arriving early because of security requirements, etc. Do you really want to head back to the airport on your fourth day in Spain? And possibly again two or three days later? I wouldn't recommend a 2- or 3-night trip to the Basque Country. I suggest dropping it from this itinerary or spending more time there; there's more to see than you're allowing time for.

Salamanca is a lovely university city, but with so little time in Barcelona, the Basque Country and Seville, and no time for side-trips to Segovia (from Madrid) or Cordoba (from Seville), I'd be willing to cut it and reallocate the time. It also substantially increases the time required to get to Granada.

Aside from the Basque Country, I don't think flying will be much better than train times. Salamanca has a small airport, but there are no non-stops from the Basque Country or to Granada. The problem is that you're trying to get to places all over a really large country.

You can use skyscanner to check flight options and the Deutsche Bahn to look at train schedules. For train pricing you need to go to Renfe or perhaps trainline.eu.

Posted by
15579 posts

That's a long string of short stays. Bear in mind that 2 nights in one place gives you one full day there. The other day will be taken up with changing locations and getting oriented to your new surroundings.

Posted by
34 posts

So it we seems like we need to revise this schedule. What amount of time in the places you think we should concentrate on? We fly into Barcelona Oct 4 and depart from Madrid Oct 23. We can use the trains or rent a car or both. What would be the highlights that you shouldn't miss on your first trip?

Sheila

Posted by
2768 posts

I would cut EITHER San Sebastian/Bilbao/maybe Salamanca OR Granada/Seville. Basically, cut one of the far ends of the country - south or northwest. I personally prefer Andalucia because it's the classic image of Spain, so I would keep Seville and Granada, but that part is up to you.

So here's an idea
Barcelona 4-5
fly to Granada 2-3
train or bus to Seville 3-4.
Train to Toledo (via Madrid) 1 OR do as day trip from Madrid, 4 nights in Madrid total
Madrid 3

you could probably squeeze Salamanca in there for 2-3 nights if you spend the lower number of nights listed. I would find that too hectic, though.

If you prefer San Sebastian etc then you could follow a similar pattern

Posted by
7811 posts

I would Save San Sebastian and Bilbao for another time. I went to both last summer but I did it as part of Southwest France tour from Bordeaux

Posted by
27063 posts

I'll go along with Mira. The weather in Andalucía shouldn't be excessively hot in October, so this is a good opportunity to visit it. The Basque Country is a place that can be visited during the summer; the weather is usually very moderate there in July and August.

Posted by
38 posts

Not to confuse the issue but to add another perspective....assuming that your airfare to Barcelona is not already booked.

Our itinerary for late April/May for 17 days...

Arrive Madrid early morning..late afternoon flight to San Sebastian.
3 nights San Sebastian

Afternoon flight to Seville
3 nights in Seville
day trip to Cordoba

Private transfer to Granada with tour of Ronda
2 nights in Granada

Morning flight to Madrid
1 night (national holiday) time to relax and explore

Morning train to Salamanca
2 nights in Salamanca

Morning train to Madrid
5 nights
Day trip to El Escorial/Valle de los Caidos/Segovia (private driver)
Day trip to Toledo
Several free days

My 5th trip to Spain, husband's first. I like Barcelona but prefer Madrid and Andalucia. A personal choice, many wouldn't think of going to Spain without Barcelona. Yes, we splurged on several private drivers; our choice that could easily be changed...

Happy planning!

Posted by
7175 posts

My advice ...
Less stops. More sights.
Less travel. More appreciation.
Less stress. More fun.

October
4. ARRIVE Barcelona (5N)
5. Barcelona
6. Barcelona
7. Barcelona
8. Barcelona
9. Fly to Granada (2N)
10. Visit the Alhambra
11. Train to Ronda (2N)
12. Ronda
13. Train to Seville (5N)
14. Seville
15. Day to Cordoba for the Mezquita
16. Seville
17. Day to Jerez or Cadiz
18. Train to Madrid (5N)
19. Madrid
20. Day to Toledo
21. Madrid
22. Day to Segovia
23. DEPART Madrid

Posted by
7175 posts

2nd option with San Sebastián & Bilbao.

October
4. ARRIVE Barcelona (4N)
5. Barcelona
6. Barcelona
7. Barcelona
8. Fly to San Sebastián (3N)
9. San Sebastián
10. San Sebastián
11. Bus to Bilbao (2N)
12. Bilbao
13. Fly to Granada (2N)
14. Visit the Alhambra
15. Train to Seville (4N)
16. Seville
17. Day to Cordoba for the Mezquita
18. Seville (or day to Jerez/Cadiz)
19. Train to Madrid (4N)
20. Madrid
21. Day to Toledo
22. Madrid (or day to Segovia)
23. DEPART Madrid

Posted by
7175 posts

3rd option with Salamanca...

October
4. ARRIVE Barcelona (5N)
5. Barcelona
6. Barcelona
7. Barcelona
8. Barcelona
9. Fly to Granada (2N)
10. Visit the Alhambra
11. Train to Seville (5N)
12. Seville
13. Day to Cordoba for the Mezquita
14. Seville
15. Day to Jerez or Cadiz
16. Train via Madrid to Salamanca (2N)
17. Salamanca
18. Train to Madrid (5N)
19. Madrid
20. Day to Toledo
21. Madrid
22. Day to Segovia
23. DEPART Madrid

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you all so much. This is so helpful and David thanks for putting in the time to suggest options.

Posted by
34 posts

Any suggestions on staying in Paradors, hotels or B&B's? It seems that the Paradors are all over the country and look very nice.

Posted by
38 posts

The paradors can be very nice but not all are conveniently located. I would check each property for more information.

I have stayed in many hotels in Spain and have several favorites.. Hotel Quatro Puerta del Sol in Madrid. It's a bit dated but clean, comfortable and the location is great. In Seville, I like the Hotel Bequer.

My choices for our April trip:

San Sebastian - Far Out Inn (B & B)
Seville - Hotel Amadeus
Granada - Hotel Santa Isabel de Real
Madrid - ME Reina Victoria
Salamanca - Hotel Don Gregorio
Toledo - Posado de Manolo

I have found the major chains, Melia and Trip, are generally fine with clean rooms and nice staff.

I've been fortunate, only 1 bad experience in 5 trips to Spain...