Please sign in to post.

Flights to barcelona

When visiting Barcelona, is it best to fly directly there or somewhere nearby. I've had trouble finding flights that don't include two layovers in each direction.

Posted by
7876 posts

Fly direct or just one connection max. It sounds like your starting point airport options have limited service.
Where do you live? Sometimes you can drive or take train to a bigger airport that could limit the amount of connecting flights you need to take. But you have to say what state or city you are starting from.

Posted by
6 posts

Denver, and my travel dates are extremely flexible, like any time from next week to April.

Posted by
3551 posts

I just returned from Barcelona and we used United air. There were many options for us to choose with one short stop in Zurich only using star alliance member Swiss Air.
We are in. California, it made for about 15 hr flight e way.
Check kayak.com, sky scanner.com or use airline websites.

Posted by
6 posts

Lufthansa offers one stop for around 1900.00 RT. So far, it seems more expensive to fly into Madrid. I check the usual flight sources and used Tripadvisor for my recent trip to the Netherlands.

Posted by
7876 posts

It does not look good from Denver.
The best that I would do is buy a separate flight on Norwegian for the longest portion (some people have a problem with this but I've done it)
from Denver to Paris or Denver to London Gatwick both direct. These are around under $500
Then go from there. For example you can take to the train from Paris to Barcelona roundtrip or fly.
If you fly from Paris to Barcelona you just have to come back a day or two earlier same with Gatwick.

For example https://goo.gl/flights/h6Rph

Or you can fly direct Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona for under $500. You just have to figure how to get there
https://goo.gl/flights/QvMH

Posted by
202 posts

You can fly r/t from Denver to LAX for less than $150 then book a non stop flight from LAX to Barcelona. The whole trip should cost you around $600.

Example:
March 5 - March 21
DEN to LAX $121.00
United non stop

March 5 - March 21
LAX to BCN $469.70
Norwegian non stop

You could look at Oakland also.

Good luck!

Posted by
6 posts

That’s an interesting approach, thanks. I’ll need to figure out how many hours a trip like that would take.

Posted by
7175 posts

For a cheap fare with self transfer ...
• Spirt to LA + Norwegian to Barcelona
• Icelandair to Reykjavik + WOW to Barcelona

Otherwise ...
• British Airways via London Heathrow
• Lufthansa via Munich or Frankfurt
• Delta via JFK
(where luggage transfer and passenger connection is the airline’s responsibility)

Posted by
44 posts

One thing we just came across while booking our flights to Barcelona is that although the price was the same (same airlines, too) between a Tuesday and a Wednesday departure/return, the Wednesday flights only had one layover while the Tuesday flights had two (and again -- for the same price!). I wouldn't have even looked beyond the price had we not had to plan around something that came up. Good luck!