Please sign in to post.

flight insurance

Hello,
I would like to buy Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance for upcoming trip costs. Just the flights from USA to Spain as well as train and flights while we are in Spain. I was told by the insurance company today that I can only buy insurance for every travel expense . So, they are requiring me to buy travel insurance for all our accommodations as well. However, I have generous cancellation arrangements on the accommodations and I do not want to get insurance coverage for those charges. This is a well rated company, and I did purchase CFAR insurance for my daughter's airline ticket only when she flew to Spain in January for her study abroad semester. So, I'm not sure why the change.
Additionally, we did not purchase a return ticket for my daughter when she left in January because we did not know our travel plans. Now, I am being told I cannot get her return ticket (which is very expense) insured because she has already left.

Does this sound right? Thoughts?

Posted by
23267 posts

Having a really hard time following what you wanted to do. The only thing you want to insure are non-refundable items like deposits. You would not get a CFAR for a return ticket for you daughter because she will be returning. And for her study abroad she should have an open return ticket that she can use at anything (there are some timing issues) So there is nothing to insure for your daughter's return ticket. So I am really confused as to what your concerns are.

Posted by
8372 posts

I think you should contact another insurance company. However, if you only wanted to insure the flights, why not use the airline program?

Posted by
18 posts

Sorry for the confusion. I am confused. I did not get an open ended ticket for my daughter. We just purchased her 2 tickets. I see that was a mistake now, but does that typically mean I cannot insure the return ticket? As well as any of her other travel expenses while we are in Spain? I am being told because she has already left the country she is not eligible.

Second, more pressing really issue is that I only want to insure my nonrefundable travel expenses for the remainder of the family. No accommodation expenses. The tickets are from several sources like American Airlines, Renfe, Iberia Airlines, etc. I wanted to get a policy that would cover all these nonrefundable items, not the accommodation costs, since I can cancel these very close to when we are leaving.

My main concern is that someone contracts covid right before we leave or on our return, or the border is shut. It would only be something like this that would stop our trip. My understanding is that I had to get this extra cfar rider to have coverage for that scenario. Perhaps I am wrong on this.

The insurance company has stated I cannot just insure the airline tickets, but I must insure everything, which is doubling the premium, and unnecessary, in my thinking.

I apologize if I am making this too confusing - I appreciate any and all feedback

Posted by
1077 posts

Does it need to be CFAR insurance? What about regular trip cancellation? One policy that I was looking at states

"Cancel for Covid-19 Sickness can provide reimbursement for prepaid and non-refundable trip payments if a trip is canceled or interrupted due to a traveler contracting the virus."

If one individual gets covid right before, will everyone be canceling their trip?

I don't believe CFAR will take care of you once you are in Spain. That will be part of the Trip Interruption, Medical, or Trip Delay coverage.

And to add, I've been looking at travel insurance for many hours and made a few calls. Bought a policy, and yet can't say that I've got it completely right. Not easy stuff and very confusing.

Posted by
1416 posts

Generali Travel Insurance will allow you to buy coverage for only the costs you want to insure.
For example, I just wanted to insure the costs of the non-refundable air tickets and hotels that could not be cancelled in the event of illness or an accident for a recent trip. Generali allows this, So the policy was based on insuring $3,000 of the trip which was about half of the full $6,000 the trip cost.
They also include coverage in the basic policy in the event someone in your family gets Covid and cannot fly home on the scheduled return flight. The cost of rescheduling the flight and your additional hotel expenses are covered.
Generali offers “Cancel for any Reason” policies but I found when you consider its high cost and exclusions, CFAR policies are not a good buy. Generali.com is their website.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you for the responses. This is helpful and I do think I need to change my focus. When I purchased travel insurance a few months ago it seems the information is different than what I am getting now. I appreciate all your time!

Posted by
4363 posts

I bought cancel for any reason policies from Travel Insured for many years -- until the pandemic, so I cannot say how their policy may have changed. However, I always gave the airfare costs as the cost of the trip and was never challenged to add the accommodations, etc. (which being refundable or not worth the bother, I never added). I did notice they have quarantine insurance now, in case you have to isolate during your trip or delay a return.