Please sign in to post.

Flamenco in Seville

I've been following several threads on the Spain Forum, and whenever Seville is mentioned so is Flamenco. Our visit in October will be our first time in Seville. We're not big fans of Flamenco, but thought if we're at the epicenter of Flamenco, we should take in a performance. Where should we go? As we'll have limited time in Seville (only two evenings), we'd like to couple the Flamenco performance with a meal, so suggestions on a performance venue that is near a restaurant (or vice versa) would be helpful. We'd prefer not to have the Flamenco show in the same house as dinner as we suspect the Flamenco performance would be compromised (but maybe we're wrong). Let is know.

Posted by
222 posts

I suggest you check the RS Spain guidebook for recommendations. We joined the Spain tour in 2016 and attended a flamenco performance that was a great introduction to the art form. No dinner but the show was early enough to allow dinner somewhere nearby afterward. Enjoy!

Posted by
7343 posts

We attended The Casa Del Flamenco in Sevilla which has three rows of tiered seats on three sides of a performance stage. Everything is close to the stage, so there’s not a bad seat. We enjoyed it, and that would leave you plenty of time for dinner afterwards.

Since you’re short on time, I would recommend beginning your day with the SeeByBike tour. We saw so much more with this fun tour than we could have covered ourselves, and they share history of the city & history of flamenco. Also, purchase your Alcazar tickets on-line ahead of time, so you won’t need to wait in the long line. (Stay left as you approach the line.). Sevilla is a fun city; enjoy your time!

Posted by
2768 posts

We went to Casa de la Memoria, which was great. Smaller venue, very good performers. It does not have a restaurant but is in the center of town where you can find a very large selection of restaurants within a short walk. When we went it was at 8 for an hour (? maybe, I may be a little off but that was the general range). Given Spain's late dinner preference, a dinner after the concert is ideal. If hungry before you could easily do that instead. Once I got used to eating later, I liked it - more time in the evening for sightseeing or concerts.

Posted by
962 posts

My husband and I visited Seville last October and also had a short time (2 nights, 1.5 days). We opted to take a combined food and Flamenco tour through Devour: https://devoursevillefoodtours.com/tours/tour/evening-tapas-and-flamenco-tour/. It was outstanding, a small group (about 8 people). We toured a few tapas bars, went to a Flamenco performance in a small venue, sat in the front row (only 3 rows). There are options of different times to start the tour so you can go as early or late as you like. We went on the first night, as Devour gives really good recommendations for small local places, and then enjoyed lunch the next day in a local bar where they wrote your order on the bar top in chalk. We would not have gone into this place had it not been for the Devour recommendations.

Hope you have a great trip. Seville is a fun place.

Sandy

Posted by
6616 posts

It’s a shame you can’t catch a performance at a festival. To me, flamenco is entertaining for about 5 minutes.

Posted by
62 posts

La Casa del Flamenco (Website: Flamenco is an excellent place. The staff is young, very talented and the show is approximately one hour. Although dinner is not served, you will be in the heart of Sevilla and there will be many, many places to choose from once you are there.

Posted by
22 posts

Were there in June and went to the Casa De Flamenco also. Really good show, but the bonus was afterwards they offered a free walking tour of the old city around their location. 1 hour tour with a wonderful guide (we tipped well at the end).

We also did a Devour tapas tour in Triana (across the river) but not with a flamenco tour. It was 4 locations with a great tour guide.

Posted by
441 posts

I really enjoyed Casa de la Memoria. Get there early for a closer seat, but since it is a small venue, I doubt there are any really bad seats. Also, someone mentioned Devour tours. We went on one of their tours in Madrid and it was excellent.

Posted by
77 posts

Another vote for Casa de la Memoria. We’ve gone several times over two visits to Sevilla in the past 6 years and loved it. Agree that catching an early show is perfect before going to dinner in the Barrio (so charming and romantic!); tickets are very reasonable and can be bought ahead of time, but getting there early to line up for fronts row seats is recommended. As others have noted though, it’s so small that pretty much all seats are good.