Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Spain in Mid October 2023

Hello Everyone

We plan on travelling to Spain somewhere mid October. We are flying in from India.
Our plan is as follows.
Barcelona- 3 nights
Madrid-2 nights
Toledo-1 night
Sevilla-3 nights
Ronda-1 night
Granda-2 nights

We plan on taking the train to all the places above.
We can still add 3 more nights any suggestions where we can add the extra nights? We would also love to see Nerja but would it be too hectic?
We are flying into Barcelona and out of Madrid.
I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Lorene

Posted by
7024 posts

If it was my trip I’d skip Nerja and add the extra days to Madrid, Barcelona, and Granada. However, where you add the days should be dependent on what you like to do. Researching each city might help you decide what might work best for you and your travel style.

Posted by
27618 posts

I completely agree with Jaimeelsabio. You seem short on time in all the large cities. I suppose if you aren't interested in Barcelona's funky architecture or Madrid's art museums you might squeak by with your current allocations.

Although I like Ronda, I'd choose Cordoba instead since you don't have time for both..

Posted by
4582 posts

I agree with both of these two suggestions: give your 3 days to Barcelona, Madrid, and Granada - and sub Cordoba for Ronda. I am not a huge art lover so in my case I would give one of the extra days to Seville instead of Madrid, though.

Posted by
1686 posts

I basically agree with what everyone else has said. And, of course, it depends on your interests. I would substitute Cordoba for Ronda. Cordoba boasts the Mezquita, a very important historical and cultural site. It’s a very pretty city with narrow lanes, white-washed walls, patios and flowers. And there is more to Cordoba than just the Mezquita.

So I would do 2 nights in Cordoba, 4 nights in Barcelona, and at least 3 nights in Madrid, UNLESS you aren’t an art lover. If not, then do 4 nights in Seville, which is a lovely city with many important sites, such as the Alcazar, Cathedral, Casa di Pilatos, Plaza de Espagna, etc. Take a carriage ride, see a flamenco show.

Have you read any guidebooks? In addition to Rick Steves, I suggest Lonely Planet, Fodors, and Michelin Green Guide or Rough Guides.

Posted by
469 posts

Based upon my travel experience, I would:
Barcelona- 4 nights
Madrid- 4
Toledo- 0
Sevilla- 4
Ronda- 0
Granda (or Cordoba)- 3

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am still reading up on the cities mostly following Rick steves guide.I have also ordered his book Best of Spain.

Just one question if I take out overnight in Toledo can I still do a day trip to Toledo from Madrid? Would you recommend this?
Also day trip to Cordoba from Sevilla.

I was looking at the below itinerary. Would this work?

Barcelona-4 nights
Madrid-4 nights ( day trip to Toledo? )
Sevilla-4 nights ( day trip to Cordoba? )
Granada-3 nights

Thanks again!
Lorene

Posted by
7024 posts

Yes, Toledo can be done as a day trip from Madrid and that’s what many people do. An advantage to spending a night there is you get to wander the streets after all the day trippers go home. I personally think both Toledo and Córdoba are worthy of more than a day trip. Your trip, do what you want to do.

Posted by
4142 posts

If this is all the time you have to work with, then yes, day trip to Toledo and Cordoba. You don’t want to be packing and unpacking too much.

Posted by
4582 posts

As jaimeelsabio says, your trip, your choices. I personally don’t enjoy big cities so I would (and did) spend an overnight in Toledo and 3 nights in Madrid. (In fact, I would spend 2 nights in Toledo, but I know that sounds extreme to some people.)

However I just noticed you are flying out of Madrid. I can’t imagine you are wanting to try to get from Granada to the airport on your departure day unless it’s a short hopper to elsewhere in Europe. You want to spend at least one night closer to the airport if it’s international. So it might make more sense to go Barcelona - Granada - Seville - Toledo (or skip) - Madrid.

Posted by
618 posts

Barcelona- 3 nights
Granda-3 nights
Sevilla-3 nights
Madrid-3 nights

I would suggest that you leave Madrid for your last destination and fly/train from Barcelona to Granada. That way you will be in Madrid days before your flight home. You can do Cordoba and Toledo as day trips.
My advice if you are doing the day trips is that you book your return trip to guarantee you will have a seat. Some (don't know how often) train/buses get sold out every now and then.

Posted by
6 posts

I think this will be my final Itinerary after all the feedback I've received.

Barcelona-4 days
Toledo -2 days
Sevilla-3 days
Granada-3 days
Madrid-3 days

We will take the train from Barcelona to Toledo.( changing trains in Madrid )
And from Granada will take the train to Madrid. I read its about 3.5 hours journey. This way will get a few days in Madrid before flying out.
Thanks and
Cheers Guys :)