Please sign in to post.

First day in Madrid

We are traveling to Madrid from the US in late September with our children ages 4 and 3. We land in Madrid at approx 9 am. The next day we plan to go to Santiago by train, returning at the end of our trip for several days in Madrid. Any ideas on a good way to spend the first day with two (likely tired and cranky) preschoolers? It’s too early to check in to a hotel… I had considered going straight to the train station and getting on the train either directly to Santiago or perhaps stopping in Segovia but worried this might be a bit ambitious. Curious to see if anyone here has any ideas.
Thanks!

Posted by
4131 posts

I'd be zombified, can only imagine children ages 4 and 3. Morning arrivals are especially tough. I'd not consider any serious sightseeing on the first day. I'd try to get fresh air and sunlight. Maybe Parque del Retiro or the old Zoo de Madrid (est 1700s). Have lunch in Mercado de San Miguel later go for tapas for an early dinner. Try to survive to at least sundown.

Good luck!

Posted by
4554 posts

I have not been to the zoo in Madrid, but think a zoo visit would be the most likely thing to happily occupy cranky preschoolers.

Posted by
6997 posts

By the time you get to the center it will be 11ish- you can drop your bags and head to Retiro Park- let the kids run around in fresh air and sunshine, have lunch and go check in at 2. So you've really only got a few short hours to kill.
I'd let them nap then if they need to.
We nap on arrival day and it works best for us. We’ve often lucked out and room has been ready when we arrive early

I can't imagine traveling further on arrival day. I'd be a tired and cranky adult.

Posted by
2267 posts

I usually book my hotel for the night I depart the US, guaranteeing getting in early for a quick nap and a sane afternoon and evening.