Please sign in to post.

First day in Madrid

Our plane lands at 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday, but we can't get into our AirBnB until 4. I guess I plan on leaving luggage at the train station. Any suggestions on what we do the rest of the day?

I have some walking tours mapped out, maybe going to a park. But we have a long time to kill before we can get into our apartment.

Thanks!

Posted by
7175 posts

This walk starts outside the Royal Palace
Almudena Cathedral >> Plaza Mayor >> Puerta del Sol >> Gran Via >> Plaza Cibeles >> Puerta de Alcala >> El Retiro Park

Posted by
2768 posts

Yes, I have done this. Take the metro or the airport express bus to Atocha station, drop your luggage in the lockers, and take a walk. Definitely go to Retiro Park. Also plan on spending a good amount of time in a cafe - get a table outside (maybe at Plaza Mayor?), drink coffee and kill some time that way. If there is a museum you aren't visiting later in your trip you could go on this day. You will be jetlagged and not appreciating it fully, so it would be an "extra" - save your must-sees for other days.

Some people I know like those hop-on-hop-off bus tours on their first day. I haven't taken one, but it is a decent idea.

Posted by
198 posts

Of course! The hop-on/off bus would be the perfect way to get our bearings, kill some time, and see the city. Great idea. The botanical gardens look good, too.

Can't wait. Just 9 days to go!

Posted by
1527 posts

Please ask the airbnb if you can drop your luggage off early.

Posted by
922 posts

I have done the Hop-on/Hop-off bus in Madrid. It's nice and take you all over the city. This is a great way to get oriented as well as to get outside. Make sure to check the schedule when you decide to get off so you know what your options are. Retiro Park is also an excellent way to get outside to beat jet lag.