Please sign in to post.

Festival in Granada October 12-14 2023

Does anyone know what festival was held in Granada Spain from October 12 to October 14 of 2023? My wife and I were visiting and there were lots of parades with people carrying large religious floats and marching bands. I’ve googled it a lot even at the time I wasn’t able to figure out what was going on. But it was quite an event.

Posted by
3904 posts

Probably Día de la Hispanidad or Spanish National Day or Fiestas del Pilar. All coincide on October 12th, the Day Columbus first landed in the New World.

Posted by
15 posts

It was quite a big event. They closed off the streets, set up seating for hundreds of people, there were soldiers everywhere controlling the crowds.

I wish I could post videos and photos on this forum.

Posted by
532 posts

@Nick don't forget, in some parts the 12th is the Pilar, and it is quite a big event in Zaragoza.

Late September is the Virgin de la Angustias fiesta. The first time I visited Granada, in September of 1992, we landed in the middle of the fiesta. It was quite an event too.

Posted by
3904 posts

It was quite a big event

Yes well in Spain all our festivals are big events 😀

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks all. I was finally able to get a note from the AirBnB host. It was the "La Magna" commemorating the XXXV national meeting of the Penitential Brotherhoods. I guess they all get together every few years and basically do the entire Holy Week in one night. Sounds like we were really lucky to be there for it.