Please sign in to post.

Fast train

Anyone have the train time from Cordoba to the Madrid airport? I understand a FAST TRAIN was to be built? As it appears, the train time is now 4 hours. Has this new train system been constructed yet or how soon before it is finished??

Posted by
7175 posts

AVE high speed trains travel frequently from Cordoba to Madrid Puerta de Atocha, taking about 1hr 45min.
Cercania suburban rail from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Madrid Barajas Airport takes 25mins, with departures every half hour.

Posted by
2941 posts

The fast train line between Madrid and Seville (Córdoba is in that line!) was inaugurated in April 1992.

Posted by
1178 posts

Less than two hours....non stop AVE train...check the site for exact times . It is on time all the time ..at least in my experience. You will arrive in Madrid in the Atocha station. There you walk out the main entrance, cross the drive way / street to the Airport Express Bus pickup site in front of the round building...five euros and 15 minutes you are at the Barajas Airport. It stops at each terminal. Fastest and cheapest way. You put you luggage in the bin inside the bus and pay the bus driver exact fare.

15 minutes should read about 25 minutes. My error.

Posted by
5210 posts

Ken,

Did you mean to say Seville to Madrid's Airport?

I concur with David's recommendation to take the 'Cercanias' (line C-1) train from Madrid's Atocha station to Barajas Airport.

Here is the link for travel information to/from airport:http://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas.com/transportation/madrid-airport-bytrain.htm

Please note: The 'Airport Express bus' will take 40 minutes, not 15 minutes as mentioned above.

Here is the website for the Airport Express bus: http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

The information is in Spanish & this is what it says:

Un servicio frecuente: Aproximadamente de 13 a 20 minutos durante el
día y cada 35 durante la noche.

TRANSLATION: Frequent service: Approximately every 13-20 minutes
during the day & every 35 during the night.

Un trayecto rápido: Tan sólo 40 minutos en condiciones normales de
tráfico. TRANSLATION: A fast journey: Only 40 minutes in normal
traffic conditions.

Posted by
15582 posts

Also, if you're taking the AVE train to Atocha, you are entitled to a free ticket on the Cercanias, I'm just not sure how/where to get it at Atocha.

Posted by
107 posts

Actually, I mean to say from GRANADA to MADRID. MY screw up. Is there a FAST TRAIN now from Granada to Madrid? I had heard it was being constructed.....sorry for the confusion....ken

Posted by
5210 posts

Hi Ken,

Presently, there is a Bus-AVE combination from Granada to Madrid due to railroad renovations.
You will travel by bus from Granada => Antequera Santa Ana, then transfer to an AVE train =>Madrid Atocha station.
Travel time Granada => Madrid is around 4 hours.

Check train schedules here:http://www.renfe.com

When will your trip take place?

Who knows, railroad renovations may be finished by the time you take your trip.

Posted by
107 posts

Priscilla, Hi and thanks. The trip is February. I wonder would you know how we could get updated information on the upgrade on this new train rail track for the high speed train they are developing???

Posted by
5210 posts

Ken,

I wonder would you know how we could get updated information on the upgrade on this new train rail track for the high speed train they are developing???

I do not know, other than to keep checking the Renfe website, under 'Avisos' (notices), but they are only in Spanish.

We will be traveling to Andalucía in October, & I intentionally changed our itinerary so we would travel back to Madrid from Sevilla, rather than from Granada.

I would think that rail renovations may be completed prior to your trip in February...

EDIT; If you plan to fly out of Madrid, I'd suggest spending the last night before your flight in Madrid.

Posted by
15582 posts

Why do you think the trains from Granada will go to the airport? No other fast trains go to the airport. They all go to Atocha. The tracks into Granada are being upgraded to accommodate the fast trains. It will take less time to get to Madrid. As far as I am aware, the only Renfe train to the airport in the Cercanias (suburban train). The only other train to Barajas is the Madrid metro .

Posted by
107 posts

Well, I meant into Madrid in general. That was the basis for my question, ie., we had heard there could be a considerable amount of time that would be saved in transporting from Grenada to Madrid.

Posted by
16893 posts

In the past, various high-speed routes in Spain have taken longer to finish than originally estimated, and some openings were delayed multiple times. I guess that happens all over. So don't count much on predictions; wait for confirmation that service has actually started.

Posted by
4535 posts

There will not be high-speed service by February. The work currently underway is only on part of that line.

Since you seem to be heading to the Madrid airport, your best bet is actually to fly. It will cost you about the same and will save you time.

Posted by
107 posts

OK, Enric and Douglas, flying it will be. And you are right, it seems about the same price.....ken

Posted by
2941 posts

So you agree with Douglas by proxy too, lol!