Please sign in to post.

Family Trip to Spain 2019

I will be traveling to Barcelona and Madrid for work end of May/beginning of June 2019. During my stay, I will visit Toledo, as well. My family plans to meet me in Madrid after my work trip is over (husband and two boys ages 13 and 10 at the time of travel). I would love to spend at least three nights in Madrid, but am wondering where to go next? I am leaning towards a beach town. I have the Rick Steves Spain 2018 guidebook but it's hard to choose! We will probably have only 10 days total.

Things we love:
Futbol
Beaches
My husband and older son love history

We are most interested in taking the train versus driving. Thanks in advance for any advice you have for us.

Posted by
2942 posts

sorry to say... that screams "Barcelona" :)

Posted by
6788 posts

Have you - and your family - been to Europe before? To Spain?

Posted by
65 posts

NFW2018

I just spent ten days last month with my family in Barcelona and Madrid. While planning, I was wrestling with the same question you are wrestling with now and came to the conclusion that Spain is a large country and will require multiple trips to see it all. I agree with Enric, Barcelona is the obvious choice - easy access by high speed train and plenty of things to do with your boys. If you are determined to go to a beach town, Barcelona also offers a nice beach. Lastly, both Barcelona and Madrid offer great day trip options (Toledo, Segovia, Montserrat, Cadaques). Good luck and enjoy Spain.

Posted by
6539 posts

With Madrid not being close to water, that beach idea adds a twist. For a place with plenty to do to occupy about 7 days, I too agree with Enric. Many other locations would only be worth a couple days.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank for your replies--wonderful ideas to accommodate everyone's interests.

My husband and I have not been to Europe since before our sons were born, and that trip was to Italy. This will our boys' first trip outside the continental US. and I know they will be very excited to visit Spain.

Posted by
15584 posts

Another vote for Barcelona. The main attractions in Madrid are the 3 art museums; it doesn't sound like spending days looking a European paintings would be a big hit with your group. Why not have the guys meet you in Barcelona? Besides all the great things that city has to offer, there are good day trips too. Or spend 2-3 nights in Valencia.