Please sign in to post.

EU 261

I have questions on this rule. I used it successfully on a flight from Denver to London when Iceland Air canceled a flight, on an Iceland jet. If I book a flight from Denver to Barcelona on British Air, but the actual plane is American Airlines, will the EU rule still apply if something happens? I’m seeing conflicting information on this.

Posted by
6419 posts

No it won't apply as neither American Airlines nor British Airways are EU-airlines.

Posted by
15079 posts

The UK has adopted much of EU 261 so you would be covered but not under EU 261.

Posted by
33 posts

That’s right. I forgot England isn’t EU. British Air did pay out under EU 261 for a canceled flight earlier this year out of Denver. That was an actual BA jet. Is EU 261 driven by the airline that the booking goes through or the actual plane perhaps American Airlines partner which wouldn’t cover it then? Confusing. It would be nice if the U.S. adopted the EU 261 way of doing things.

Posted by
6419 posts

Is EU 261 driven by the airline that the booking goes through or the
actual plane perhaps American Airlines partner which wouldn’t cover it
then?

It is based on the airline you're actually flying with, not the one that sold you the ticket.

Posted by
15079 posts

It would be nice if the U.S. adopted the EU 261 way of doing things.

There is a similar bill winding its way through Congress. Biden proposed it. So the Republicans are against it.

Business as usual.