Please sign in to post.

el camino de santiago

el camino de santiago
We are planing to do the walk in 2019 approximately April time frame
and I have not done any thing like this any advice would be helpful

Posted by
172 posts

We have done parts of the Camino. the first from Sarria to Santiago, approx. 70 miles, enough for the Compostela. The second was from Barcelos, Portugal, approx. 115 miles. both were amazing experiences. Are you planning on doing the Camino Frances, from St. Jean-Pied-D'- Port, the 40 day or so popular walk, or a shorter version? My suggestion would be to read as much as you can about the Camino, there are tons of books. The absolute must is John Brierly's guidebooks to the Camino. It has it all: how to prepare physically, emotionally, what to pack, and is a comprehensive guide with maps dividing the walk into stages which include what to expect on each stage. where to stay, where to eat, and valuable info about the varying conditions on each stage. Many have asked us did we make reservations along the way, to assure rooms. We did not. The Camino is just like life, it has ups and downs, yet always seems to provide. We would be exhausted and walked a little further and always found a place to stay. The walk in summer could provide problems in weather and room availability, so your Spring journey is a good idea. Finally, the Martin Sheen movie, The Way, I thought was a pretty good look at the walk, though maybe a little dramatic. We would be glad to answer any questions you have. Buen Camino! Hank, Novato, CA

Posted by
271 posts

Glad that you’re interested in the Camino but “advice” is hard to offer without a better understanding of the future Peregrinos. But, first I’ll go out on a limb and suggest that the RS Travel Forum is not the best community of travelers to gather advise and counsel about the Camino. You might look into:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/
https://www.caminosantiagodecompostela.com/forums/forum/camino-de-santiago-forum/

With an April 2019 you have plenty of time to begin decide:
Which route to take (Camino Frances, Camino Norte, etc.)
Guide or self-guided
Plan your own camino or rely on a travel consultant to assist with reservations, etc.
Stay in refugios/dormitorios or small hotels, etc.
Backpack your belongs or have your belongs transported daily to your next destination

Enjoy watching The Way - caution you may advance your departure date because the film is so engaging.

It’s never to early to get in shape and get those new boots broken in ...
Buen Camino
Craig