Please sign in to post.

Easter in Spain

Hello there -
Our RS tour ends in Seville on Apr 2nd Palm Sunday - we want to extend our stay and travel to Velencia after - which will take us right into Easter Weekend for return to Barcelona and fly home.

Has anyone been in Spain during Easter?

Just wondering how crazy busy is it during that week. Train travel - restaurants?

Thank you!

Posted by
27119 posts

Holy Week is a very big deal in Seville and at least some other cities in Andalusia. Hotel rates skyrocket, availability drops, and cancellation policies become stricter. I had the impression things calmed down a lot after Easter itself. You can check availability and rates on booking.com to see what the pattern looks like before and after the holiday.

The situation may be different in Valencia. It was more than two weeks after Easter by the time I reached Valencia in 2019.

Posted by
361 posts

I have not been to Velencia ever, however I did go to Spain for Holy Week in 2019 which was a long time bucket for me. Yes accomidations cost double, but so well worth it. Just amazing if I could I would go every year to Holy week in Spain. I was in souther Spain and there was no issues getting a bus ticket. J

Posted by
3904 posts

I'd say forget Valencia. Stay in Sevilla for Semana Santa (Holy Week) for April 2-8! Sevilla is the epicenter of passion of Semana Santa in Spain, every day is a festival. In Sevilla they put on really spectacular processions and celebrations combining music, art, and color. Semana Santa is the biggest celebration of the year in Spain, even bigger than Christmas. Stay the Holy Week in Sevilla and you won't regret it.

Posted by
6318 posts

I was in Spain for Semana Santa in 2006 and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. We started the week in Caceres for the opening procession, then hit Seville mid-week and ended it in Valladolid for Easter Sunday. We were driving so had no train issues. I don't remember accommodations skyrocketing then, but it's been awhile, too.

Regardless, it was wonderful and magical and crazy! It's still one of my favorite memories of Europe (and I'm not that religious). Don't miss it!

Posted by
2 posts

Does anyone know any tour guides who provide balcony tours of the Holy Week processions of the various Brotherhoods in Sevilla and Madrid Spain in 2023? Thank you..

Sue