Please sign in to post.

Easter in Barcelona

We (three adults) will be spending the Easter holiday/week in Barcelona (6 nights in Barcelona). My family typically attends church and goes to Easter brunch on Easter Sunday, so we wanted to follow that tradition while we were in Barcelona. Can anyone recommend an English-speaking church service we could go to? I had heard that Sagrada Familia may have an English speaking services, but I'm guessing other tourists will have the same idea. Other recommendations for English speaking services? Also, I know Barcelona offers so many dining options, but are there places that offer prix fixe or special menus for Easter? Finally, I understand that Easter is a big holiday for families in Barcelona and we should expect stores and restaurants to be closed, but is that for the entire weekend (Friday to Monday) or is it just on Sunday/Monday? Any tips on what to do for dining during that weekend?

Thanks in advance for any contributions/tips/suggestions you may have.

Posted by
2 posts

We were fortunate enough to attend Easter services at the Sagrada Familia last year and it's an experience not to be missed. Furthermore, the 8:00am mass is free. Need to arrive early, there is quite a line by 7:00am. The service is very ecumenical and had mixture of English but it's easy to follow even if you do not speak Spanish or Catalan. Admiring the changing light inside for two hour is quite an experience. Service starts at 9:00 and last an hour.

All major stores will be closed Fri, Sun, and Mon. Open on Saturday. Most small restaurants will be closed Fri-Mon, but there are still many places to visit and eat. Major museum and Gaudi locations are fully open.