Please sign in to post.

Easter In Barcelona

We are planning a trip to Spain next April. Our schedule has us in Barcelona for the Easter weekend from Thursday to Monday. Will the Picasso Museum and the Sagrada Familia be open during that period? What about restaurants?

Posted by
513 posts

You will have to go to the web pages for the Picasso Museum and Sagrada Familia and check their open/close dates there. Most restaurants in the "tourist" areas will be open.

Posted by
7175 posts

With new laws restricting alcohol sales and licensing hours it seems Sydney these days is in a permanent state of closure.

Posted by
15593 posts

When I was planning my March 2016 Semana Santa trip, I learned that there's not much going on in Barcelona. I'd expect everything to be open, but as Jack said, check the websites. The Sagrada Familia services are held in a chapel below street level, so I'd expect everything would be open as usual for tourists.

I was concerned about Easter weekend restaurant openings in Andalucia, where Semana Santa is huge, and was told that all the restaurants are open, it's one of their busiest weekends and none wants to lose the business. Indeed, it was true. Even many sights in Cordoba were open on Easter Sunday.

Consider going to Zaragoza Thursday night for La Madruga. Brad wrote that it was a very special experience. The Madruga processions are late Thursday night (maybe not even before midnight) until close to dawn (sunrise is about 7 am).

What's your whole itinerary?

Posted by
17 posts

Our Itinerary in preliminary form is as follows for 3 adults:
4 nights in Barcelona including 1 to get over jet lag from flight from Sydney,
train to Madrid - 3 nights,
train to Toledo - 1 night,
Pick up hire car Toledo and drive to Granada for 2 nights,
Drive to Arcos for 2 nights,
Drive to Seville for 3 nights including day trip to Cordoba dropping off hire car in Seville,
Fly Seville to Bilbao and then 3 nights in San Sebastian,
Fly to London.

Posted by
7175 posts

Consider this variation ...
After Toledo take the train via Madrid to Sevilla.
Pick up your hire car in Sevilla and drive to Granada via Arcos and Ronda.
Return your hire car in Granada, and fly from here to Bilbao/ San Sebastián.

Posted by
2473 posts

I was in Barcelona on Easter weekend this year, having worked my way there via Girona and Tarragona.
I believe all sites were open, with some having limited hours, like the MNAC.

On Easter Sunday itself the line for the Picasso Museum extended more than the full city block,
which I could see from the windows of the Asian art museum across the street, where many galleries were nearly empty.

I didn't seek out any processions in Barcelona; had been to several in Girona (Good Friday) and Tarragona (reviewed in earlier posts).

I've been reflecting recently on how Barcelona is like other well-reputed cities (San Francisco, Paris) in the sense that it is entirely possible to have bad overpriced meals if you don't do a little preparation and exercise some discrimination. Check out the offers on El Tenedor but listen to the advice of people you trust moreso.

Posted by
17 posts

David in Brisbane,
With 3 passengers, I assumed that the hire car would be cheaper than 3 train tickets. Also there does not appear to be a direct flight from Granada to Bilbao whereas there is a direct flight from Seville to Bilbao. Are there reasons for making the change you suggest I look at.

Posted by
15593 posts

When you do the math, include petrol and tolls. viamichelin.com is an excellent tool to do this, as well as see estimated driving times (keep in mind they don't take into account traffic, getting stuck behind a slow truck, pit stops or wrong turns ☺). Don't forget parking fees. Most of us prefer the high-speed trains when possible because they are more comfortable (you can walk around, relax, read a book, use your computer, have a picnic meal, etc) and take you from city center to city center. I don't know whether you are taking into account the "promo" fares on Spanish trains. Read this excellent article which explains Renfe's website.

I'd stay in Ronda instead of Arcos. There's a lot more to see and do in Ronda. It's easier to visit the other pueblos blancos and the city itself is level, compared with the steep slopes of most of the hill towns, especially Arcos.

Posted by
7175 posts

I suggested my variation because ...
1. Driving in the central parts of Spain (Toledo to Granada) is not very interesting.
2. AVE high speed trains run from Madrid to Sevilla.
3. You don't need to pay for an unnecessary car during your time in Granada.
But yes, as you note, flying Granada to Bilbao would involve a connection in Madrid or Barcelona.
Your plan though, as laid out, is very sound.