Please sign in to post.

Driving in Spain?

Who has rented a car in Spain? Did you get a special driver's license? I've heard conflicting things. Thanks.

Posted by
3167 posts

Most likely you heard about the International Driving Permit which is basically a translation of your US license. It is mandatory in Spain to have an IDP as well as your US license. You can get it at any AAA office for $20 + 2 passport photos.

Lots of information n the Travel Tips in this site.

Posted by
7380 posts

And AAA will also take those 2 photos for you, for a small charge, if you don’t have spares lying bbc around. The permit is valid for a year from the date you tell them to start it, so it’s not necessarily the day you obtain it from AAA.

Hertz never asked to see the permit when we checked out the car. You’ll only need to show it if you unfortunately get stopped by the police, and they ask to see it, along with your actual Driver License.

Posted by
812 posts

Driving in Spain was easy, but be aware that there are lots of cameras monitoring your speed. We found that speed limits change quickly and often. Fines are hefty and the rental company may charge you a fee of 50+ euros to "provide the Spanish authorities with your information." Forewarned is forearmed.

Posted by
863 posts

I have obtained an International Driving Permit for my upcoming trip to Spain.

Posted by
6573 posts

Just the IDP and your U.S. driving license. In all the times I’ve rented a vehicle in Spain, most recently last May, I’ve never been asked for the IDP, but the rental car agency will want to see your U.S., or wherever you’re from, license. You’d probably be asked for the IDP in the event you get in an accident. Once you get away from the cities, there are few cars on the rural roads, so driving is easy and fairly relaxing.

Ditto the remark about lots of cameras. Many are entering or leaving towns. As long as you stay at or below the limit you’ll be fine. Don’t accelerate before an increased speed sign; wait until you’re past it. That’s how I got a ticket back in 2017.

Posted by
3602 posts

One more thing about speed limits. I’m not sure about Spain, specifically; but in most European countries where we’ve driven, you are expected to know and adhere to speed limits, even when there is no sign. So, for example, when you are within city limits, 50 kph is the top speed. (Sometimes lower as per signs).

Posted by
650 posts

If there´s something about Spain´s roads, it´s how well signed they are, expect a speed sign almost in every town you enter...not only one, several!