Please sign in to post.

Drive from Seville to Granada

My husband and I would like to go from Sevilla to Granada in October. Ideally, we would like to find a guide to drive us, with stops along the way. It would be a one-way drive. Does anyone recommend a guide?
Thank you.

Posted by
27616 posts

I have no personal experience doing that; perhaps someone else will be able to help. If not, there is a company called "DayTrip" that connects travelers like you with transportation providers. One of the options on those trips is sightseeing stops en route. DayTrip may be able to help you if you'll settle for just arranging transportation through that company, perhaps supplemented with a guide in a couple of places where you might stop along the way. If Ronda is one of those stops, for example, I bet the tourist office in Ronda could suggest guides if you contacted it ahead of time.

Posted by
1559 posts

The drive between the cities is easy to navigate and point to point three hours. Drop off fees are relatively small within Spain and car rental fairly easy (autoeurope is a good start). Can you define the stops you would like to make as this will help me define some solutions (this is a journey we have taken). We have often driven within Spain and willing to provide some tips on how to effectively make car trips. However, we have no experience with companies offering driving trips. October is a great time to visit Spain!

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you for the Day Trip recommendation. I did a quick check of their website and they seem perfect for what we need. We NEVER would have known about them if you had not responded.

Thank you to the next person who offered to help us if we decide to drive from Seville to Granada. My husband is 78 and is a little hesitant to drive, especially since some of the best scenery is in areas with narrow roads. We have not decided whether or not he will drive, but information about the route would be very helpful. We will be going in October of this year. We know we want to stop at Artequera and at Ronda. If there are other places that are worthwhile to visit, please let me know.
I look forward to reading about your suggestions.

Posted by
15768 posts

That's not a one-day trip. The drive from Sevilla to Granada via Ronda and Antequera is at least 4.5 hours, more if you want to stop at the pull-outs in the hills to enjoy the view and take a photo or two. You'll want most of a day to enjoy Ronda. The town is generally flat so walking around is easy. Antequera is the opposite. It's all up/downhill (and not a gentle slope).

Posted by
15768 posts

Driving through the hills is not difficult if you stay on the main road. Once you get out of metro Sevilla (multi-lane divided highway), you're on a well-graded two lane highway with pull-outs where there's a good view. Driving into some of the hill towns is tricky, but they are very scenic from the main road. Driving in/out of Ronda is fine except if you turn off the main road that goes through the oldest part of town (then you can end up in narrow streets with sharp corners and cars parked everywhere. There's an underground lot in the center of town that is easy to drive in and out of (though maybe not so easy to find the first time because it's not well marked and the entrance is accessed by a one-way street or two- do have GPS). Shortly after you leave Ronda you'll find yourselves on a plain to Antequera, which you can't miss - it rises dramatically in the middle of the plain. You'll also want GPS to get in/out of Antequera. I didn't find the driving difficult but I didn't have GPS and got lost a lot trying to get back to the highway. From Antequera to Granada, you'll be on a multi-lane divided highway continuing through the plain. You'll probably return the car at the train station there. With GPS, it should be easy to find and just normal city driving. From there you can take a taxi to your hotel. I drove into the historic center because I arrived much late in the evening to return the car (that was planned). What I didn't know was that driving there is difficult - as it is in most any European city's historic center.