Please sign in to post.

Discover Card

We will be traveling to Spain and Portugal in a few weeks and want to know about using my discover card. Has anyone encountered an issue with using discover, especially in Spain? I will have my Visa card with me as well but would rather use Discover card if possible since there is no foreign transaction fee. It also has a diners club logo on it. Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick says, "the Discover card is unknown in Europe." But if you do find businesses displaying the Diners logo, then it should be accepted. There may also be places that prefer cash, so I assume that you have a debit card to use at ATMs.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks, Laura! Yes, I'll have my ATM card as well but was trying to find ways not to have to carry lots of cash around.

Posted by
23296 posts

Skip the Discover card, it is not widely, if at all, accepted in most of Europe. Stick to Visa and Mastercard as card of choice. If you have time, get a fee less Visa card. However, we use cash about 90% of the time -- far easier and more convenient.

Posted by
25 posts

Actually... I did use my Discover Card last summer in Spain. I have a September trip to the UK coming up and just recently confirmed with Discover that they are also being accepted in the UK at merchants as well as at ATMs. You will need a four digit PIN set up before you go, and they did advise me to have an alternate form of payment available because they are still not accepted everywhere. Be aware that although there are no foreign transaction fees on purchases, cash withdrawals do have fees.

Posted by
9 posts

Frank - Thank you! We have always used cash as well on our previous trip to Europe and always have a Visa card handy if need be.

Nannyb - Thanks for that info! I will bring my Discover card along with my Visa/ATM card then. We will probably be using cash most of the time but just want to have the option if in case of a big purchase. :)

Posted by
7049 posts

It is very easy to get a Visa card without foreign transaction fees (Capital One is one of them...you can also search www.bankrate.com for all cards that meet this criterion). I use my credit card a lot overseas, as well as a 1% ATM withdrawal fee (with no other fees except the 1%) credit union ATM debit card.