Please sign in to post.

Easy day trips from Seville (other than to Cordoba)

Experienced travelers, what are some general do it yourself day tours from Seville without a car?

Posted by
5581 posts

I didn't go, but wanted to, how about Jerez? Also, people seem to like Cadiz. Are you already doing a day trip to Cordoba? I loved Cordoba but feel it deserves a two night stay. However, if you don't have the two days, I'd research and plan like crazy and go to Cordoba as a daytrip, if that made any sense. ;)

Posted by
7837 posts

I am doing the day trip from Cordoba on the train but could stay a couple of nights. Not sure yet.
Not sure how many nights in Seville 3, 4 or 5 ? But do not want to change hotels too much,
We are going to Granada after Seville

Posted by
5581 posts

We were in Sevilla 3 nights and almost 3 full days. We enjoyed Sevilla and could have stayed another day, but we were fine with what we did. I feel like if you want to do a day trip or two from Sevilla, you might want to stay at least 4 nights. If you can swing it, I'd recommend at least one night and 1 1/2 days in Cordoba. There is more than just the Mezquita. We stayed in Hotel Mezquita, great location about 15 feet from the Mezquita.

Posted by
7837 posts

Yeah I am thinking 4 nights Seville and maybe one day trip in addition to Cordoba.
I am trying to stick to two hotel stays for 8 nights in Andalucia,

Posted by
6534 posts

Jerez, Cadiz, Arcos de la Frontera, and if you like Roman ruins; Italica (just outside Sevilla). Near Cadiz are Puerto de Santa Maria and Rota. Both can be reached by ferry from Cadiz. There are mostly small towns in the Sevilla area, so without a car, you are somewhat limited. Others can tell you how well busses or trains can get you to those places.

Posted by
696 posts

We enjoyed our day trip to Jerez. Spent a few hours at the Real Escuela for the museum and horse show, ate lunch, and then toured Tio Pepe bodega. We would have liked more time to do a few other things, but we wanted to have dinner back in Sevilla, so we caught a 7 pm-ish train back.

For my next trip to Spain, I want to spend some time in Cadiz. I’ve never been, but sounds interesting.

Posted by
15582 posts

Unless you have a great desire to visit Cadiz or Jerez, I'd recommend focusing on Sevilla and Cordoba instead of rushing around spend too little time in too many places. There is a lot more to Cordoba than the Mezquita, and there are horse shows at the Royal Stables 2-3 times a week. Cordoba is quiet and romantic in the evenings, while Sevilla is bustling.

Sevilla recommendations - the Palacio de las Dueñas has only been open for about 1.5 years, so it may not be in the guidebooks yet, the Roman ruins (Antiquarium) under the Metropol Parasol, Plaza de Espana in the late afternoon sun, a performance at La Casa de Flamenco

Cordoba recommendations - Calahorra Tower Museum, Casa de Sefarad, courtyards of the Viana Palace, Medina al-Zahara (the TI used to sell tickets including the round-trip bus ride, with or w/o a guide, check if they still do, I think the site is best with a guide), Julio Romero museum and the

Posted by
5581 posts

Chani has great suggestions. We really enjoyed Plaza de Espana (you might recognize from Game of Thrones and a Star Wars movie). Its huge and the tile work is pretty amazing. I'm not sure this is documented many places but the Alcazar ticket gets into the Triana Ceramics museum (not open Mondays and closes at 2:30 Sundays), the Metropol Parasol and something else?? I had asked a manager at the Alcazar ticket office about the Ceramics admission and she said the other two were included as well. Also in Sevilla we found the Church of the Macrena interesting as well as a quick trip to see Triana's "virgin".