Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Madrid

I'm planning my 4th trip to Spain for September. I'm looking for recommendations for day trips from Madrid. I have already visited Aranjuez, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, El Escorial, El Valle de los Caidos and Salamanca. I was considering including Cuenca and El Pardo for my next trip. Are these worth seeing? Any other recommendations for locations to visit in a day trip via public transportation?
Thanks in advance,
Peter

Posted by
513 posts

Hello Peter -

I did a day trip to Valencia last October by train. It left from Atocha and took about 1:45 to get there, arriving in late morning.. I hit the high spots only and returned to Madrid in time for a 9:30 pm dinner. I agree there is probably much more to see in Valencia on a longer stay, but that was all I could afford on that trip as I was heading north for the remainder of my trip. Another unusual, but possibly enjoyable day trip could be to Zaragoza. It is a bit shorter than Valencia by train (1:30) and well worth the effort. In my opinion, El Pilar is worth the train ride by itself!

Jack

Posted by
161 posts

I hear that Cuenca is very nice for a day trip but have not been there yet. How about Aranda del Duero for wines? Also, there is a train that goes to Santiago de Compostela--long trip but well worth it to see the cathedral, pilgrims mass and enjoy the town. Maybe someone in this forum can suggest someplace in Zamorra or Extremadura for a day trip. Gladys.

Posted by
3 posts

Jack, Gladys & Archimedes,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will be adding El Pilar, Cuenca, El Pardo and Alcala de Henares to this year's Spain trip. It seems like all these locations are an easy day trip from Madrid. Of course I will also go back to Toledo and Segovia, since these are two of my favorite cities to visit in Spain.
Regards,
Peter

Posted by
677 posts

Peter, check out La Granja de San Ildefonso about 80 kilometers north of Madrid.

Posted by
1178 posts

I will recommend El Pardo....the royal Palace of Charles and of Franco....the opulence of it contrasted with the dwellings of the commoners during Franco's reign will amaze you. Even with that, it is well worth the visit...A couple of hours for the palace and then some for the grounds as well. It was one of several palaces of Charles...And there is an excellent restaurant in the small village...outdoors under the tent...Can not remember the name, but it is easy to see and enjoy.

Posted by
3 posts

Pat and HJ,
Thanks for the recommendations. I sure enjoyed visiting the royal palaces in Madrid and Anranjuez in prior visits to Spain. Therefore, I am sure that I will enjoy your recommendations as well. I did a quick search on both and they look spectacular. La Granja de San Ildefonso and El Pardo are now part of my itinerary.
Peter