Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Toledo from Madrid

We are going by train in late September. We have booked an early morning train and return train at 9:30. We were wanting to eat dinner in Toledo but most restaurants don't serve dinner until 8 or 8:30. Any suggestions for restaurants where we cold get traditional roasts and eat early, like at 7 or so.

Posted by
23240 posts

Unfortunately that is the dinning custom in Spain. You will just have to check times as you walk by. Some restaurants associated with hotel will have longer hours.

Posted by
2267 posts

Getting a dinner’s worth of food at 7 is not a problem, it’s just going to be tapas and raciónes.

Posted by
902 posts

Remember Spain does a siesta in the afternoon. When we did a day trip to Toledo from Madrid, we got a late lunch in Toledo and late afternoon train back to Madrid. You might want to rethink your return train's departure time and take an earlier one if available.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank all! I'm thinking maybe we will do a bigger meal at lunch and grab some tapas before we head back to Madrid. I still want to stay until later as I've read many tours ect leave around 6 and the city is pretty lit up at night. Any lunch spot recommendations?
I read roasted lamb, suckling pig and venison are a specialty in Toledo.

Posted by
2943 posts

I’ve been to Toledo twice and loved it and said after my first visit the next time I go I’m spending the night which I did. It was late Mar and around 6p the tourists left and everything began to shut down. My sister and I had not eaten dinner yet so we decided to check out possible restaurants where we could end the day with something other than greasy topas.
As we wandered the back streets it was pitch black outside with no street lights. My sister and I were the only people on the street. We decided to go back to our room but did notice a place with the door open that was cleaning up so we asked if we could sit at the bar and if they would bring us something to eat. The potato chips were fantastic and then came the greasy topas that was not eatable. We were back in our room by 7:30.
Last month I read this post about Toledo’s night life: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/spain/why-does-all-of-toledo-close-down-at-6pm.

Posted by
889 posts

i just looked at The Fork for their list of the top ten restaurants in Toledo. I looked at the times they were open. It's usually @1:00-4:00 and 8:30-10:00 or even 11:30.

Perhaps the town came alive after the poster had already called it a night.

Posted by
6503 posts

It’s been about 7 years but I remember there being a couple restaurants that manly catered to tourists just past Plaza de Zocodover. After walking past the plaza McDonalds take either the first or second right and there are a number of restaurants. There are also a couple hotels by the Alcázar. Their restaurants may open a little earlier. I’ve never had a problem finding a place to eat early in Spain, especially in tourist cities. Fifteen years ago I would have given you a different answer.

Posted by
7175 posts

In Jan 2020, those glory days before Covid-19, I had a beautiful lunch at Taberna del Botero.
https://tabernabotero.com/
From memory I enjoyed a degustation of fancy croquetas. Great cosy atmosphere and fantastic service, and it appears they offer continuous service from lunch to dinner.