Please sign in to post.

day trip to Toledo

Hello we are doing 4 days in Madrid and want to do a one day trip to Toledo. I have looked at Via tours for day trips. I am guessing we need a full day vs a half based on what I have read. Any suggestions? We are two people and are looking to make the transport part as easy as possible.

Thank you.

Janet McConkey

Posted by
6285 posts

It is very easy and inexpensive (about 10 euro) to take the train to Toledo. From the Toledo train station (which is gorgeous, BTW) you can take a taxi up the hill to the old town. Could not be much easier. I would want a full day. In fact we stayed over 2 nights in Toledo. Incredible city!

Posted by
7024 posts

From the train station in Toledo, if you wanted to walk, but not up the hill to the historic center, just past Puerta Bisagra by Hacienda del Cardenal and the public restroom is an escalator. On Google maps it shows up as “Escalera mecánica del Parque Recaredo.” It’s just under a mile from the train station.

Posted by
1686 posts

You don't need a guided tour to visit Toledo. It's very easy to take the train from Madrid to Toledo. It's about a 30-minute ride. That's so much better than being herded around in a group. We've done a few guided tours, and generally, you never get to spend as much time as you would like at each site, and often times, you just walk by or drive by and don't go inside.

If you have the time, I recommend spending at least one night in Toledo. Daytime will be very busy and crowded with group tours and large tour buses. Evenings in Toledo are wonderful when the daytrippers have left and the city is illuminated.

Posted by
7175 posts

This was my intense (but not rushed) schedule for ‘Toledo In A Day’ when I made.a visit in January 2020.

08:50 Depart Madrid Puerta de Atocha
(AVN 8082)
09:23 Arrive Toledo
10:00 Santa Cruz Museum (el Greco)
11:30 Cristo de la Luz (mosque)
12:15 Santo Tome (church)
13:00 Lunch (highly recommend Taberna el Botero)
14:00 Sinagoga del Tránsito
14:45 Sinagoga de Santa María La Blanca
(one or both synagogues depending on time)
15:30 Monastery San Juan de Los Reyes
16:30 Cathedral (closes 18:00)
18:25 Depart Toledo
18:58 Arrive Madrid Puerta de Atocha
(AVN 8183)

Posted by
226 posts

David, your itinerary looks great! I figure about 8 hours in Toledo for a day trip. I am about to purchase train tickets and am trying to decide on time of day. Either get there around noon and leave at 9pm or get there at 10am and depart around 6pm. I would like to see the city lit up at night but have read that the town is pretty much bare after 6pm. We have decided not to spend a night there as we already have many hotel changes and did not want to add another. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Posted by
6285 posts

We stayed 2 nights in Toledo. I thought it was lovely at night. Some areas were busy than others. Honestly, if it were me and I wasn't able to stay overnight, I'd try to get there around 9 and leave in the evening. If you find yourself tired or you have depleted your agenda, to a break for wine or coffee.

BTW. We took a taxi from city center down the hill, and across the river to get that beautiful view you see so often in photos. It cost me about 6 euros is my recollection. I looked into the buses and the taxi was cheaper and then we could control the timing. Or if you take a taxi from the train station, ask to go see the view before you go up into the town.

Toledo is amazing!

Posted by
347 posts

As others have already said, the train from Atocha in Madrid is fast and inexpensive. You can also get a bus from the station in Toledo to Plaza Zocodover, they run about every 15 minutes.

Posted by
888 posts

While it is true - as stated above "you don't need a guided tour of Toledo" - but if you are interested in a guided tour, I highly recommend Adolfo Ferrero ( http://www.toledodelamano.com/en/sobre-mi/). Taking a tour with Adolfo is like walking around town with the mayor. That guy knows everyone in Toledo. He brings the city to life. Adolfo's remarks still resonate in my mind from our tour in 2018.