Please sign in to post.

Day Trip to Toledo

My wife and I will be in Madrid for 3 days in May. We have many things we are excited to do in Madrid, but would like to make a side trip to Toledo as well. Given our short time in Madrid, we were considering a trip to Toledo just for an evening. Leave Madrid around 4 pm or so and take the last train back to Madrid. Unfortunately staying the night in Toledo will to be an option. From a logistical standpoint, does this short trip to Toledo make sense? Would it still be worth the trip to Toledo, even for that short period of time? Thanks for any thoughts you can share. Steve

Posted by
16894 posts

The churches and synagogues close between 18:30 and 19:00, so you'd probably only see one of those. Wandering the narrow streets is half the fun, and it's the type of place where you can get lost in them. Bring a flashlight if you'll be walking after dark. Be sure that you have your tickets booked for the last return train, since it can sell out.

Posted by
66 posts

I'd say it would be worth it if you'll have a few hours there. It's a fun city to walk around in. Make sure you don't get too lost, though, since you don't want to miss your bus! (I recommend "digital breadcrumbs".)

Posted by
27230 posts

I think any just about any opportunity to visit Toledo should be seized, but do travel with info on return schedules for both buses and trains, being careful about day of the week. Rick warns that the final bus of the day can sell out; I'm not sure about trains since I took the (cheaper) bus.

Toledo's historic area is quite large and fairly hilly, so do some research ahead of time to figure out where you want to wander, and give serious consideration to starting at the place farthest from the train/bus stations and working your way back. The stations are down below historic Toledo; access is from an area near Zocodover Square. Because of the limited time you have available, you'll almost certainly want to take a taxi up to (or at least near) the first area you want to see. The walk, though augmented with escalators, takes quite a bit of time that you do not have.

Posted by
15607 posts

Don't worry about walking in the dark. The last train back is at 21.30. Sunset in Madrid on May 1 is at 21.18.