Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Tangier

Spending 5 days in Costa del Sol and interested in a day trip to Tangiers. Any suggestions on tour guides? Or overall trip suggestions?

Posted by
8030 posts

Don't waste you time and money for Tangier, it is more like Tijuana to San Diego.

If you want to do Morocco, go to Fes, Marrakesh, Rabat and Agadir.

Posted by
5461 posts

What are your expectations for a day trip to Tangiers and why do you want to go?

Posted by
6978 posts

Only because you’ll be in that area for a few days I’ll be a contrarian and say go, but do it as a tour. I can’t help with a company since I haven’t been to Tangier since 1978. I think you’ll find that a day trip is more than sufficient. Expect to be shuffled from tourist spot to tourist spot for the standard photo stop with a camel, through the market and shops, and herded into a tourist restaurant for lunch and belly dancing show.

Posted by
2 posts

Unlikely that Morocco in and of itself will be on our travel list anytime soon (family with 3 5 teenagers that can only afford one overseas trip a year). Thought with the proximity to southern Spain, it might be an interesting day trip to experience a culture so different from ours.

Posted by
2575 posts

The RS Spain guidebook has a section on Tangier including recommended guides and tour companies, check out the latest version from the library or download the ebook. I did the RS Best of Spain tour while it still included two nights in Tangier. I understand it isn't like the rest of Morocco, but it was the part of Morocco I have seen and I am glad I went.

Posted by
5461 posts

Thought with the proximity to southern Spain, it might be an interesting day trip to experience a culture so different from ours.

If you want to experience dirty streets, animal cruelty, misogyny, poor treatment of women and scamming of tourists then go ahead otherwise spend your time more wisely in Spain.