Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Seville

My wife and I will be spending a few days in Algarve of Portugal. We are looking to do a day trip and are leaning towards Seville in Spain (about a two hour car ride). We will have a car so transportation is covered and we are flexible. From doing some reading I know to stay out of the old town of Seville with the car as they can fine you for a number of things if you make a mistake with your driving.

Is there an area within Seville that would be an optimal place to park a car ( a pay lot is fine) and from there trek out to see the city? I want to avoid the headache of trying to figure this out on the fly when I get there as well as avoid the risk of being ticketed for driving in a "wrong" area (such as old town).

Thanks
Kevin

Posted by
7263 posts

I personally would not drive this far for a day trip, but that is your decision. We spent three nights in Seville on a three-week trip to Spain some years ago. In general, Portugal is "poorly connected" to Spain.

When we wanted to visit Carmona and Italica from Seville before beginning a drive across southern Spain, we rented the car a day early in Seville. We parked one night in a vast underground lot that was presumably built to spare the picturesque city from a high-rise garage. I don't remember it being ridiculously expensive. But like all Euro garages, it has narrow parking stalls and narrower ramps and arches than American garages. I haven't been to Spain lately, so I don't know if there is such a thing as the Italian ZTL there.

I've never been to the Algarve, but I encourage you to find out if there are any special sites that are closer than Seville. For example, (up toward Coimbra, not where you'll be) we saw some excellent Roman ruins with lovely mosaic floors. A likely source might be Lonely Planet Portugal.

Posted by
3158 posts

There is a very large underground parking facility at Av. Paseo de Cristina, 1, 41001 Sevilla, Spain. Easy to get to without driving through the smaller local streets and convenient to walk to the main sights.

Posted by
6505 posts

Can’t say I’d want to try and see Sevilla as a day trip, but it’s your trip. Last time we were there we parked at Interparking Cano y Cueto parking garage, C. Cano y Cueto, s/n, 41004 Sevilla. On that trip we were in the city for a few days.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,

The earlier responses are quite good. Spain and Portugal are not well connected.
A day trip of that length, you won't have time to see anything in Seville.

Portugal has so much, I would spend my time there.

wayne iNWI