Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Seville

We are planning on a day trip to Seville from Fuengirola and will be driving. Just wondering if there is some kind of place to park maybe outside the city and maybe take a bus or train from to avoid driving right in Seville.

Suggestions on must sees would be appreciated as well.

Posted by
2 posts

There is an underground parking lot in the city, just along the river, which is very doable, and will save a lot of time rather taking a bus in. The “must-sees’ are the Alcázar, the Cathedral, and the Santa Cruz barrio/neighborhood, which are all within walking distance of the underground parking lot. You will also see the Torre de Oro and some lovely plazas, which are in the same vicinity. The Plaza Nueva is also there, and the Calle Sierpes for shopping. If you have a little extra time, you may wantocosider crossing the bridge into the Tirana neighborhood, which is quaint and has many tile shops (if that interests you). The restaurants there are great too!

Posted by
6598 posts

There are a number of parking lots around the city. Assuming you’d be coming in on the A4 from the south, I’d follow the signs to “centro ciudad” or the cathedral. As you got closer in I’d look for any large blue sign with a white P indicating a parking garage and park there rather than trying to find a specific lot. If you have GPS, one lot is Parking Puente Remedios. It’s across the river from the Plaza de Espana (another must see) and Maria Luisa Park. Walk across the bridge and go straight to Plaza de Espana. Left of the Plaza are the Alcazar, cathedral, and Giralda (about a 10 minutes walk). Another parking lot a few minutes walk from the cathedral is Parking Jocaral on Avenida de Melendez Pelayo. Just remember where you parked so you can get back to your car. Where you park will end up being determined by which direction you enter the city from. It’s close to 100 miles (approx 166km) from Fuengirola to Sevilla.

Posted by
5226 posts

I agree with geovagriffith,
Sevilla needs more than a few hours to explore and experience.

According to GoogleMaps, the drive will be 2.5 hours each way (without stops), too long for a day trip imo.

BTW, make sure you book your Alhambra tickets (3 months in advance) if you’re planning to visit Granada.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
1297 posts

I am going to disagree, apologies, with those suggesting you don't make this trip. Certainly, it would be preferable to spend a few days in Sevilla, but if that isn't an option it is well worth taking a day-trip. It is a relatively easy drive, along main roads (though with traffic likely in places, admittedly), and you pass through some magnificent countryside for photo-ops. Leave early and you can be at the Alcazar by 10, then walk around the city centre and have lunch, see the "hospital" and cathedral in the afternoon, etc.

Since you are on your hols, presumably there is no rush to get back. So you could stay in Sevilla until the evening - some sights are open fairly late or just walk around the Jewish quarter - then drive "home", stopping at one of the roadside restaurante you will pass for dinner. As it's not a school night, you can sleep in or go to the beach next day to recover!

No hay ningun viaje malo, excepto el que conduce a la horca (or something like that, my Spanish is pretty dire).

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks to all who provided me with their input. It is greatly appreciated. While I realize that it is a long day trip, we are still planning on making the trip for the day. And since we are on vacation anyway, there is no rush to get home, although we will have an early start the next day since we are going to Tangiers. What was I thinking on planning 2 big day trips a day apart!!!!

Posted by
6598 posts

Bien dicho Nick. Como digo yo, un dia malo de vacaciones es mejor que un dia trabajando.