Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Costa Brava

My kids (15 and 17) and I are would like to make a day trip from Barcelona to spend some time in acquaint and peaceful places in Costa Brava. I read good things about Girona, Besalu, Tossa de Mar, Pals, Calella de Palafrugell but there are many other towns in the area looking nice as well.. What are best places to visit in the area? Any reco for an itinerary for a day trip by bus or train?

Alternatively, I can join a guided tour from Barcelona. It includes Girona, Pals, Calella de Palafrugell. Would it be worth paying over $100 per person? Are shops or restaurants be closed or slow after summer in a small town like Pals?

Posted by
10208 posts

Would it be worth the guided tour? To me, yes because it will take you from place to place. Otherwise, it's a lot of moving around in Catalonia without easy transportation links except for Girona.

Posted by
27163 posts

Girona makes an excellent base if you want to see it and Besalu. It is also ideal for a side trip to Figueres to see the Dali Theatre-Museum. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the DTM (I dislike surrealism), and its wackiness might appeal to your kids. The jewelry collection covered by the same ticket is fabulous.

That all adds up to more time than you are planning to spend outside Barcelona, I know.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the bus tour you've identified as long as you accept having only a quick look at Girona, which has more than one day's worth of sights. For the kids, short visits to three places may work better.

I don't know whether the two smaller places will be lively or quiet at your time of year. I trust we'll hear from one of our local experts soon.

Posted by
3250 posts

In October 2017, we took a similar day trip to the Costa Brava and Girona. We had an excellent included lunch in Pals, and the whole day was great. The only downside was not very much time for Girona - but that is the tradeoff for any tour.

Posted by
3907 posts

Going there around week of Oct 11. Thanks!

Good, because later in the Autumn it starts getting quite cold, windy, and generally unpleasant on the Costa Brava. The guided tour is a good idea if you want to see many things in a short amount of time, but might not be too relaxing as there's a lot of moving around. October is the off season for beaches so places on the coast like Tossa de Mar would be pretty quite, if that's what you are looking for? Otherwise I'd suggest somewhere inland, like Girona or Vic.