Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Cordoba from Granada

Hello!

I'm staying in Granada in May, and I'd like to make a day trip to Cordoba by myself (my travel companion has to work). I'm wondering if anyone would recommend taking a group tour from Granada to Cordoba and back, or a tour within Cordoba, or doing it all myself a la carte via bus/train. I'm a social person so I imagine I'd like the group atmosphere of a tour, but I also don't want to be rushed and the steep $150ish price of tours made me balk.

Any advice?

Also, feel free to jump in and tell me your favorite spots to visit in Cordoba!

Posted by
26840 posts

There are several factors to consider:

• The train will be much faster than a bus. The AVEs and AVANTs take about 1-1/2 hours each way; the (comfortable) ALSA buses are scheduled to take 2 hr. 45 min.

• The outbound train schedule is not ideal unless you are an early riser. On the weekday I checked there were trains at 6:38, 7:12 and 8:15 A.M., then the next departure was at 1:18 PM.

• For the return there were trains at 4:21 and 8:10 PM. (There may also be one at 9:06 PM.)

• Buses are spread a bit more evenly throughout the day, including outbound departures at 8:30 and 10 AM, but the last bus back from Cordoba leaves at 7 PM.

• Buses are usually a lot less expensive than AVEs and somewhat less expensive than AVANTs, but if you are comfortable buying tickets way ahead of time, the price difference will probably be narrower. Even on the buses, the fare is likely to increase if you buy your tickets late, but it probably will not increase as much as rail fares do.

I don't see any reason to take a bus tour originating in Granada when trains are so much faster than road vehicles on this route. Not an early riser, I'd drag myself to that 8:15 AM train. You could return by either train or bus. There's a lot to see in Cordoba, so I'd probably go with the latest scheduled train.

I did my sightseeing in Cordoba independently, but I'm sure there are walking tours available. My first preference is always a tour offered by the local tourist office, but I'm not finding something like that online.

If you don't already have a guidebook, you need to get one ASAP. Both Cordoba and Granada have a lot of interesting sights you're not likely to stumble on randomly.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Can you be wild and crazy? Do an overnight? I know you have a place you paid for in Granada. But really. 3 hours in the train...for a handful of hours. Cordoba is very different than Granada. (By the way, make sure you get to The Basílica de San Juan de Dios while in Granada. The cathedral in Granada is grand, but this basilica is seriously over the top. There are enough relic bones to create a full working skeleton and have pieces left over. And enough gold and silver to make a Spanish conquistador proud. )

The Cordoba train station is close to the old town so taking the train will be easy. If you are using your phone for maps, you are OK. If you use the city produced tourist maps, keep in mind where North is on their map.

The mosque/cathedral is worth spending some time inside, especially near closing hour when it empties out. Walking the streets can take some time. The Alcazar and the Palace. But seeing the place as the sunsets and after from the lit Roman bridge...what do they say...priceless.

Over night lets you see the city cool down, tourists go away, and the lit buildings create a hush.

Good food too.

wayne iNWI