Please sign in to post.

Day trip Madrid to Toledo

Although we wanted to overnight in Toledo, we decided we already have too much hotel switching to do so. With just a day trip, we are curious what the best times to go and return so we can buy advance tickets. While there we will visit the cathedral, El Greco museum and the general sights while walking around. If anyone has suggestions on what no to miss , let me know. Also, how many hours should we plan to stay there?

Posted by
545 posts

My mom and I did this day trip in 2015. We left Madrid around 8:30 am, stayed most of the day, and left Toledo around 4:00 pm. We went to the cathedral and the El Greco museum - both are wonderful! We may have gone to another museum, too, I just can't remember. Then we just walked around looking in some shops and had lunch at a small cafeteria (don't ask me where). We were satisfied with the amount of time we allowed for the trip. Enjoy, it's a pretty city.

Posted by
2267 posts

You should buy your tickets before getting to the station, but don't need to buy them before leaving the US. The fares are constant, and if the trains sell out, it's only day-of. You may want to leave some flexibility for weather or other plans, and just book online the night before you go.

These tickets also have free changes. What I've done is book the return for the latest I might want, and when ready to head back earlier, change them at the ticket window for the next train.