Please sign in to post.

Dali Museum

We have gone to the Dali museum which has a great collection in St. Petersburg Florida. What are your opinions about the museum in Spain?

Posted by
3161 posts

And don’t miss his home/studio in Portlligat.

Posted by
27112 posts

I wouldn't show up without a ticket already in hand. Tickets are timed, and if you happened to arrive on the heels of a tour bus, you might not be able to get a ticket for the next entry period. Figueres doesn't have a lot of other sights to fill the waiting time.

Posted by
1427 posts

The Dali Theatre-Museum in Figueres is one of a kind and a lot of fun. I agree with Acraven’s advice about getting your tickets in advance. Even though the Dali website looks like it sells 30 tickets for each 30-minute timeframe, there are actually far more visitors inside the museum than these numbers would suggest. What this means is if you arrive without a pre-bought digital ticket, you must first get in a long line to buy tickets; then you will need to get in a second long line to be admitted at the entrance.
That’s a long time on your feet before you even enter the museum to enjoy Dali’s art and that can easily take 2 hours or more.
Final tip: We had timed tickets for 12:15 pm on a rainy day when the museum was so crowded we had to park 1.5 miles away because the Dali Museum’s large parking garage was completely full.

Seeing about 100 visitors in the line for the entrance, we walked up to the doorman and explained why we were 45 minutes late. He simply took a look at our tickets and then opened the door for us to enter!

Posted by
6539 posts

It’s been a number of years since I was there, but I thoroughly enjoyed the museum. Looking at his works I wondered what he was thinking when he made/painted the works.

Posted by
3595 posts

I wouldn’t rank Dali as one of the world greatest artists, and I would rank him as a fairly despicable human being. However, even so, I found the museum to be very interesting and entertaining. The day we went it was full of families with children, always a good thing. I think it’s a bit of a cut above the one in St. Pete. For me, the collection of his early works, which I don’t remember being part of the Florida collection, was particularly interesting.

Posted by
413 posts

As has been said above; if you’re a fan, you should go with an advanced ticket (and maybe even a train ticket bought online the night before). The trains to Figueres can fill up on weekends in particular

Posted by
1603 posts

I agree with Philip that you should not miss his home/studio in Port Lligat which is very close to Cadaques. It’s very quirky! You do have to make reservations in advance. IIRC, they only allow 8 visitors at a time.