Please sign in to post.

Costa del Sol

I am planning a three week trip to Southern Spain in the fall. We will fly in and out of Madrid (from Seattle) and be using public transportation. We have spent time in Madrid so we only need a day there at the end. I’m looking a dividing time between Cordoba, Ubeda, Granada, Ronda (just overnight), and Seville. I would like to find a town on the Costa del Sol for a few nights. Something laid back for just looking just at the beach. I don’t need resorts or nightlife. If need be we could rent a car for a few days.

Posted by
8374 posts

You could stay at any of the coastal towns on either side of Malaga or stay in Malaga itself. It easy to access Malaga by train or bus.

Our visit was this last December, so definitely the “off season.” We found Benalmadena very nice. We stayed at Sahara Sunset at were 1 block up from the beach and the bus stop. Behind us was a lovely park. Our 2 bedroom flat was quite pleasant and very reasonable. Not sure what prices are like in September.

https://www.diamondresortseurope.com/saharasunset

Posted by
27109 posts

Transportation to and from Ubeda is a bit tricky, so I suggest investigating that early on to see what's available. I think the nearest train station is Linares-Baeza, which isn't even in Baeza (another town worth visiting). I'm not sure how well it would work to use the Linares-Baeza train station and buses between that point and Ubeda. I took a bus from Madrid to Ubeda in 2019 and then a bus on to Cordoba several days later.

I liked Malaga and would choose to stay there rather than in a small coastal town, but I do like the sightseeing options available in big cities.

Posted by
695 posts

Try Cadiz. Very laid back, beach right in the old quarter, lovely promenade. Easy train ride from Sevilla.

Posted by
6534 posts

The Costa Del Sol is all resorts, but has great views of the water and a bunch of ex-pats. You’d hear plenty of English. If I had to pick a town along that stretch of coast, it would be Marbella. You may want to choose a town based on transportation options to the place you’ll be going afterwards.

Edited: Cádiz is along the Costa de la Luz, but would be ok too.

Posted by
2173 posts

I have a college friend who has now lived in Madrid for more than 50 years. Her family's beach vacations are in Cadiz.

Posted by
7662 posts

We visited Costa del Sol for the beach for a few days and were very disappointed. Sorry the beaches in Florida and California are much better.

Posted by
5261 posts

Our visit was this last December, so definitely the “off season.” We found Benalmadena very nice.

Benalmadena in September will be full of Brits on cheap package holidays, it's not somewhere I would choose to be. In December they're mostly gone which is why Carol probably had a nice time.

I would look at Estepona. It's a traditional Spanish town retaining much of its old charm and not geared towards package holidays catering for Brits and Germans. It has a nice beach and the old town with its plethora of restaurants is a brief walk away.

Marbella is nice. It's more upmarket than some of the other Costa Del Sol towns and it has a pleasant, albeit small, old town. It is more built up than Estepona and attracts a wealthy European crowd keen on partying.

Posted by
518 posts

Thank you for your help but I think we will pass on Costa del Sol. Looking for more Spanish experience and we live close to great beaches.

Posted by
5261 posts

Thank you for your help but I think we will pass on Costa del Sol. Looking for more Spanish experience and we live close to great beaches.

What Spanish experience are you looking for?

Posted by
3903 posts

If looking for a more "Spanish" beach escapade, I'd head to the Costa de la Luz, just south of Sevilla. This is where local Andaluces go for their holidays, less developed and overtouristed than the Costa del Sol.

You could also consider driving along the Cabo de Gata National Park, a protected coastal area of wild and rugged beaches. What the Costa del Sol used to be like before the modern development boom.

Posted by
8374 posts

I have to admit to chuckling a bit at the comparison between Washington State beaches and The Costa del Sol. I would say these are two very different types of beaches.

Posted by
518 posts

Thank you again to those who took the time to make helpful suggestions. I apologize for posting my question before doing more research as I did not know that the area was populated with golf courses and resorts.

In reference to beaches I was referring to California and Hawaii which we are fortunate to go on long weekend trips.
Happy New Year and safe travels to all.