Please sign in to post.

Costa del Sol

We will be traveling from Portugalto the southern tip of Spain to get to Tangier and will only have 2-3 days. We will be flying from Lisbon to Sevilla and then south by bus. Any recommendations on spending a couple of days in the Cadiz area or the Costa Del Sol area before going into Morocco. I have thought about making Tarifa our base and then we can take a day trip to Cadiz or Costa Del Sol. Just want to get a little flavor of that part of Spain. We lost our Rick Steves Spain book in Barcelona a few years ago and I miss having that to go to for advice. May have to buy another one.

Posted by
7659 posts

Costa Del Sol was a bit of a disappointment to me. I strongly recommend either Cordoba or Granada (the amazing Alhambra).
Also, don't go to Tangier just to say you have visited Morocco. Tangier is not a good tourist attraction. There are wonderful places in Morocco like Fes, Marrakesh, Rabat and some on the desert fringe.

Posted by
6525 posts

I agree with geovagriffith. The Costa Del Sol is crowded with a large British expatriate community and lacks a sense of traditional Spain. We avoid it although it does have some nice beaches if that’s what you want to do. Other than a castle Tarifa has little to offer. If you’re into windsurfing, nearby Punta Paloma is great for that. To me Cadiz is worth walking around but has no must see sights and can be seen in a few hours. Algeciras is a larger town, but even it has no must see sights. Where you choose to make your base should have sights you want to see or places that are of interest to you.

Posted by
3897 posts

Look into the Costa de la Luz, the local alternative to overtouristed Costa del Sol.