Please sign in to post.

Converter/adapter

Hi! I'm traveling to Spain in Oct. My UK hair dryer, straightener and extension cord are all 250V (they are not dual voltage)! My converter for spain says: input 100-240VAC output 100-240. Can I use these items safely with the converter? Thanks so much!

Posted by
1589 posts

If your appliances are 250V you do not need a converter. If your appliances are 120V (US voltage) then you have to check the amp rating of your converter to ensure that it is the same or more than any of your devices.

Posted by
25 posts

Sorry, I should have mentioned my hair dryer, straightener and extension cord are UK products. Diggerent plug to Spain

Posted by
15016 posts

All you need is an adapter plug. No converter.

Make sure you get one that changes UK to EU.

A converter changes the voltage. An adapter changes the plug.

Posted by
2377 posts

Yes, just plug adapter. I have just the opposite. Bought in Spain and use in the UK with a simple adapter.

Posted by
531 posts

If you're staying at hotel/s, honestly, there's no need to bring a hair dryer because most have them already. I've been to Europe three times since 2018, two of those times were Rick Steves tours, and I've never needed a hair dryer. Save yourself the hassle!

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks Jim! Yes, I've been many times to the UK and there are no outlets in the bathrooms and sometimes not even near a mirror!!! So, drying my hair requires a mirror lol. No blow dyer has a cord long enough to stretch to a mirror if the mirror is more that 3 feet from the plug! Thank so much though! That was the same response my brother gave me 😂