Please sign in to post.

Churros!

Visiting on March. Looking for great Churros near Plaza Catalunya / Las Ramblas. Any advise?

Thanks

Posted by
5286 posts

Churros are so ubiquitous and so easy to make that there really isn't much difference in where you buy them. One thing is certain however and that is if you're buying them from anywhere in Plaza Catalunya / Las Ramblas then you'll be paying over the odds for them.

Posted by
15593 posts

2 years ago, I ate the best churros ever, so fresh they were too hot to eat right away and cheap - €2 for a paper cone, enough for two to fill up on. It was a "hole-in-the-wall" shop on via Laeietana, between Carrer Comtal and the Jaume I metro station. If you're walking down from Placa de Catalunya, it will be on the right side (edit - oops, on the left side) of the street. and Heather's correct about the name

Posted by
5226 posts

Juan.Santiago,
My comment doesn’t answer your question but I wanted to share my observation about churros.

If you’re used to Mexican Churros ( or the churros you find in the U.S.) don’t expect the ones in Spain to taste the same. When my mom and I visited Spain we were so excited about trying out the churros (in Toledo). We got an order and were extremely disappointed with the taste. Even though the churros were freshly fried, they weren’t covered in sugar with cinnamon like the ones we’re used to, so we really didn’t care for them, in fact, the dough was a bit salty. The hot chocolate we had was not good either, and the place we went to had the reputation of being the best in the city!

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
12172 posts

It's funny how the places that are supposed to be the best in the city often end up being the worst. I enjoyed churros and hot chocolate from any number of small shops that are making them fresh to order. Like most eating, it's better to get away from the tourist center than to go toward it looking for decent food. For Barcelona, the places I'd suggest would be past the Olympic Village going north along the coast. Either that or out toward Parc Guell (but not right there). You have to go fairly far to get away from tourists in Barcelona but local places do exist.

Posted by
5697 posts

My recollection is that the churros and hot chocolate was more like churros in hot chocolate pudding -- tasty, but a surprise. We kept ordering them anyway, at random places.

Posted by
15593 posts

Unlike France and Italy, in Spain they put corn starch in the hot chocolate so its more like a thin pudding. They'll sprinkle sugar on the churros if you ask. You also have to ask for salt on the potato chips.

Posted by
4535 posts

Spanish churro chocolate is for dipping. You can drink it, but it is formulated for dipping.

Posted by
1945 posts

I also recommend Churrería Laeietana. Quaint little place that was filled with locals.