Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Sevilla Spain

Will be in southern Spain for about one week and looking to rent small car for drive through Cordoba, Granada and white hill towns. Any suggestions or tips? How about recommendations on convenient car rental agencies locations?

Posted by
6598 posts

When in Spain I always have a rental car so we can stop at those small town ones runs across. We always use Avis and make the reservation before going on the trip. Liability insurance in compulsory and should be included in the price of the rental. Just ask at the counter to be certain if you have doubts. I buy CDW through Allianz for $9 a day. That, along with the credit card CDW insurance my card provides would more than cover any damage. There are other companies you can use. There's no reason to have a car in the large cities. Overnight parking can range between 15-20 Euros per night. In some cities you get lucky and it's nominal; sometimes even free. In Granada our hotel was right at the Alhambra and we parked in its parking lot. Again, about 15 Euros a day. Sevilla is a pain to drive in unless you're familiar with the area. Even then, it can be frustrating finding a hotel that isn't on a main street. Unless you need the car in the city, pick it up when you leave town. For day trips and the Pueblos Blancos/White towns, a rental car comes in handy. Roads in and around the white town are one lane each direction, they wind, and some go through the mountains. Because you're driving slower, it takes a little longer to get to your destination. The roads and signs to the towns are fairly well marked and it would be difficult to get lost unless you don't have a map of some type. The main road leading to Granada is an interstate. Getting to Cordoba is easy and the roads are well marked. You cannot drive in the historic center of Cordoba unless your hotel is in it.

Posted by
167 posts

We rented a car from Granada and drove to Seville, through Ronda and white towns. It was a lovely drive. However, we did not use the car in Granada or Seville. Driving in the cities seems like a real pain, and not necessary since it is very easy to get around by train or bus. The train from Seville to Cordoba is only about 45 minutes and very easy. We used Europcar and it was easy to pick up at the Granada train station and drop off at the Seville train station - I imagine you will do the opposite. Have fun planning!

Posted by
15593 posts

You won't want a car in Cordoba or Granada. You can pick it up in Sevilla or Cordoba, drive through the hills for a couple-three days and drop the car when you get to Granada (or vice versa).

I start with autoeurope.com and then compare with direct rentals through the rental companies. Do read the small print, sometimes there are add-ons with one or another quote. Autoeurope requires you to prepay; I've cancelled more than once and they've refunded the money with 2-3 days. I rented twice in Spain, both were Europcar, once through Autoeurope, once directly. If you return the car in Cordoba, the signage is nearly non-existent, you need to drop the car in the garage under the bus station, even though it lists the location as the train station.