Please sign in to post.

car rental

I had a reservation with Europcar that was "pay later". I had to cancel it in order to modify my dates; tried to just change dates but even with an online chat, was told I had to cancel and rebook. Now there is no option to pay later. Anyone else having a similar issue? I've used Sixt in the past but their rates are a bit higher now.

Suggestions about rental companies in general and/or specific to this issue? Many thanks!

Posted by
6113 posts

Hire cars are in short supply most places in Europe. I am currently in the Canary Islands and the car hire rate is almost double what we paid this time last year.

I am not surprised that prices have increased and they want payment now. The last thing they want with a shortage of cars is people cancelling at the last minute and not paying them.

Posted by
7024 posts

If you’re a Costco member, check out pricing through it. For longer trips you can save $100 or so. You get the insurance at the rental counter when you pick it up. When I checked pricing for a May trip the companies came up Alamo and Enterprise. On previous trips we used Avis.

On your computer try using a different browser or clearing all your cookies, maybe the pay later option will show up again.

Posted by
394 posts

I checked Costco pricing but I'm only able to book manual transmission. While I can drive manual, it's not my usual habit and I need to eliminate any extra stress when driving in Europe.

I might see if there is a way to get the Costco discount (typically no charge for an extra driver) directly from the rental companies that come up on their page.