Please sign in to post.

car rental

We will be renting a car in San Sebastian and dropping it off in Santiago. Is it better to rent at the airport or in town? This question also applies to Portugal. We will rent in Porto and drop off in Lisbon. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
16893 posts

San Sebastian airport is a half-hour bus ride from the city, in the town of Hondarribia. The old town of Hondarribia is worth a look, if you have time. It's easy enough to drive in and out of the airport but looking at Europcar and Enterprise locations in San Sebastian city center, it also looks pretty easy to get onto the highway from there.

Posted by
3161 posts

Julie, easiest thing to do in San Seb is to rent in town, not travel all the way to the airport. Remember that airport pickups often come with a surcharge. When I drove from Porto to Lisbon, I dropped the car in the city near my hotel which was a short metro ride away in the Baixa area.

BTW the drive along the northern coast of Spain along the Bay of Biscay was wonderful. Visiting Bilbao, Guernica, and Santillana del Mar, a perfectly preserved medieval village that is limited to foot traffic were great visits in the way to S de C. If you're willing to take a break, consider staying at the Parador in the Picos de Europa. The drive through the gorge to the Parador was fantastic. Nice informative (free) museum about the Picos, great gondola ride up the mountain.

Posted by
61 posts

Thank you for the information. Do you have the name of the parador in the Picos? How long did it take to drive from there to Santiago? We are staying in Santillana Del Mar one night and have another night unplanned at this time.

Posted by
3596 posts

Not too far from Santillana del Mar is the town of Ribadesella, attractive in its own right, and site of the painted prehistoric cave of Tito Bustillo. It's the real thing, as opposed to the reproduction of Altamira, which you might also want to visit. Reserving ahead is probably a good idea.