Please sign in to post.

Car hire June 2024

We will be in Spain for 24 days, arriving initially in Barcelona for 4 nights in early June. Should we organise car hire on our first day in Barcelona for collection as we leave Barcelona, or prebook it in advance before we leave home? This is our first time visiting Spain. Have been looking at the Sixt carhire webpage,if anyone can advise on a better carhire company this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance, Mark.

Posted by
1466 posts

First, check with your employer to see if corp rates apply outside the US.

Second, some car rental agencies are franchises in Europe. So, their service really varies. Also, since they are franchises, your elite benefits may not be honored.

I would pre-book it, but you don't have to prepay.

Posted by
6470 posts

Third, where are you going? Are you sure a car is the best option?

Posted by
1442 posts

Prebooking can definitely save a lot of money. Check into Auto Europe which is a consolidator representing dozens of the larger car rental companies ( Avis, Sixt, Hertz EuropaCar, etc)
AutoEurope has great rates, particularly when you reserve a car a few months in advance. The locations are often at airports and the smaller airports in Spain are really easy to pick up a car and then drop it off at another small airport at the end of your trip. You can pick up a car when you’re ready to leave Barcelona as public transit is so extensive, there’s no need for a car in Barcelona’s metro region.
Be sure each driver gets a legally-required International Drivers Permit ( IDP). The $30 cost is money well-spent at an American Automobile Association office because you can be fined up to €500 if the police catch you without one.
www.AutoEurope.com

Posted by
6616 posts

On recent trips I’ve used Enterprise through Costco, but have always picked up in Madrid. I always reserve 5 or so months in advance. After reserving I’ll check back to see if prices go down. If they do I make a new reservation and cancel the previous one. My experience has been when reserving directly through a company’s website, reservations are free to cancel up u til a couple days before pickup.