Please sign in to post.

Canary Islands

Is there a non-tourist, non-resort, non-sitting-on-the-beach all day with a drink version of traveling in the Canary Islands?

If so, where and how? Thanks.

Posted by
6788 posts

The Canary islands are a big place. Multiple islands, some quite big, others smaller, but....it would be like asking the same question about the Hawaiian Islands. Answer would be the same - "it depends" (mostly on where you go, your tastes, etc.).

Posted by
179 posts

Right. So I am asking ... where would one go on the Canary Islands to have a non-touristy experience.

Posted by
3888 posts

Las Canarias have much to offer, outside of beach resorts, for example the island of Gran Canaria is nicknamed the "Miniature Continent" because of the diversity of landscapes, from sand dunes to green ravines. It's a paradise if you are into hiking and nature. Gran Canaria also has quite a few picturesque towns like Arucas or Firgas that are worth checking out.

From a cultural standpoint, the island of Tenerife should also do the trick, its home to the second largest carnival in the world, after the one in Rio de Janeiro. The charming town of San Cristóbal de La Laguna, a UNESCO Heritage site, makes for a nice day trip too. And one can also check out Teide National Park, another World Heritage Site, which is home to Mount Teide, the third highest volcano in the world. Not to mention all the unique and fascinating history and culture of the local Guanche people.

Las Canarias are quite dear to me, I have family who live there and have visited multiple times :)

Posted by
179 posts

Thank you. This is very helpful.

You may be able to tell me ... are there heritage style tours for people who know their ancestors came from the Canaries, but not which and just want to reconnect with their family's past?

Is a car necessary?

Posted by
3888 posts

I'm not sure about heritage tours, but renting a car is definitely advisable if you plan to go "off the reservation" and explore the interior of the Canary Islands, where there are not many public transportation options. You can also hire a private local guide who can drive you around to these places as well.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello Pepita!

I've been living in the Canary Islands for 2 years and this place is amazing. The islands are famous for their beaches but there is much more to do.
I really like hiking and Gran Canaria and Tenerife are great for this because there is so much territory to explore.
Here are some activities from a blog post which inspired me to do activities with my partner on Valentine's Day. https://www.hdhotels.com/en/blog/romantic-things-to-do-in-gran-canaria/
These are just a few examples, there are many more things you can do.
Islands are not just beaches. I recommend that you come and see for yourself.

Greetings!
Neil