Please sign in to post.

Campervan rental?

Hi!
My husband and I are thinking of renting a campervan or motorhome in Barcelona Spain. It appears most rentals are with a manual transmission. Does anyone know of a company that offers automatic at a reasonable price? Also, coming from the US do we need a special license to drive in Spain? I thought I saw something about that online.
Thank you in advance

Posted by
6508 posts

Can’t help with the campervan, but regarding a special license, all you need to obtain is an International Driving Permit from any AAA office. It cost $20 and two passport photos. It notates what’s on your U.S. license in multiple languages.

Posted by
6508 posts

Yes you can. It’s a service anybody can use. It will be good for one year from a beginning date you choose. We use the day we’ll be picking up the rental as the effective date.

Chances are nobody will ever ask to see the permit, not even when picking up a rental vehicle, but it is required. The rental vehicle company will want to see your U.S. license. If for some reason there is an incident and you’re asked for it, but don’t have it, there’s a pretty hefty fine.