Please sign in to post.

Camino de Santiago

My wife and I are intersted in walking -- and driving -- Camino de Santiago. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Posted by
6492 posts

Somewhat generic question. How much do you want to walk or drive and are you doing it for fun or plan to walk enough to get the certificate. Since there are many different legs of the Camino, which is your intention to walk and drive and where did you plan on beginning? It’s easy to drive the St. Jean Pied du Port to Santiago route since there are roads that pretty closely parallel the Camino. I drove it in 2017 because there were specific sites I wanted to see along it after doing some research and seeing the movie The Way. If you only wanted to walk small segments just to say you walked a little of it, you can do that in places like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sant Domingo de la Calzada, Astoria, Villafranca del Bierzo, Ponferrada, Alto de Cebreiro, Melide, etc. Heck, you can walk parts of the Camino in Bruges and Brussels, Belgium.

Posted by
8938 posts

It does depend on what cities or towns you want to visit and how much do you want to walk. Do you want to walk from one town to the next and taxi back to your car?
The Camino goes all through Europe. It is called the Jakobs Way in many countries like Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland.

Just got back from my 3rd Camino, so ask any questions you like.

Posted by
362 posts

American Pilgrims has a Facebook page with tons of daily posts; from there there are various Camino groups that have branched off. Already Compostelas from this year at the pilgrims office in Santiago have passed 300,000.

There is a very active Camino group in Portland with local walks and events regularly scheduled if interested.

You would need to get a pilgrims passport book, get 2 stamps a day and walk the last 100k into Santiago to receive your compostela from any of the number of Caminos the most popular being Sarria Spain in Galacia on the Camino Frances. Other routes are Portuguese, Norte, Ingles, +++. It’s a wonderful experience. Your pilgrimage is yours, make it what you want.
Buen Camino