Please sign in to post.

Caminito del Rey

We are currently booked flying into Malaga round-trip next February. When I made our itinerary and hotel reservations, I did not know about the Caminitio del Rey walk. Now, I really want to do it. So what I am thinking is to take away a night from Seville, where we currently have 5 nights at Hotel Amadeus (all refundable at this point) and stay in Malaga for our first night. This accomplishes two things, we don't have to hire a driver to get us to Seville upon landing in Malaga (one never knows if your flight will arrive on time these days) and I get to do the Caminito walk. It does take away a day from Seville, but we will still have 3 full days there. Anyone done the walk/hike and can tell me their thoughts?

We also could land in Malaga, get a driver to take us near the walk and spend the night, do the walk the next morning, then continue on to Seville. Hmmm.....

Posted by
93 posts

The first thing I would recommend is that you email Caminoways.com with your plan. They can work with you, and design a hike for you. They know what will be open that time of year, and can set up a hike based on what you are capable of, and arrange to move your luggage from place to place.
We used them for our Camino walk of 112km and saved us a lot of time and confusion.

Posted by
7083 posts

Not sure why the previous poster recommended who he/she did unless they assumed the Caminito del Rey is like the Camino de Santiago.

What you want to do is fine, but I recommend looking into hotels near the Caminito walk and checking availability. There are few that are close to the actual hike. Somebody who has done what you propose will better know the logistics of getting to the hike using public transportation.

The Caminito website has some useful information, especially tickets and availability, if you haven’t looked at it. Right now tickets are only available through 12 January.
https://www.caminitodelrey.info/es/

Posted by
292 posts

The Caminito del Rey, not to be confused with the Camino de Santiago, is ABSOLUTELY worth taking a day away from Seville. It’s is a breathtaking guided hike, hard hat included. The only caveat I would add is anyone afraid of heights should steer clear of the endeavor. It’s located about an hour out of Malaga or two hours from Seville so could possibly be done from either.

Last February, I flew into Malaga from Fes, Morocco where I spent the night and did the hike the following day. I used Get your Guide for transportation since I was traveling solo. Once you get to the beginning of the trailhead, you’ll be issued a hard hat and assigned a Caminito guide for your group to complete the hike. It is a guided hike regardless if you’re traveling with a group or not. Make sure to prebook your time if you are doing it yourself. Wear layers as the canyon is up in elevation and sun doesn’t warm it until later in the day. Many in my group, expecting Malaga temps, froze the first half of the day.

After completing the hike, I couldn’t believe it wasn’t more well known. It ranks up there with incredible experiences like the Jungfrau, aguille du Midi, ballooning over Capadoccia or canal boating. It’s pretty mind blowing. PM me if you have more questions.

Posted by
3514 posts

Thank you, you have convinced me! I am re-arranging our itinerary to do this. I don't really like heights, but if there is a railing I will be fine.

Posted by
389 posts

El Caminito del Rey was a highlight of our trip to Andalucia last year. Highly recommend! We flew into Malaga, spent two nights there and thoroughly enjoyed it. And, three nights in Seville worked well for us.

PS - Another highlight was the rooftop tour of the Seville Cathedral.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
292 posts

“I don't really like heights, but if there is a railing I will be fine.“

What do you consider a railing? There is a metal cable with some netting. I’m not afraid of heights but at least half the hike is on a cantilevered boardwalk hundreds of feet in the air where you can see between the 1/2” gaps of the boards that I even found unnerving. Toward the end of the hike is a shaky suspension bridge with metal grating for walkway they only allow a few people across at a time. It’s breathtaking.

If you would like to send me a DM with your email, I’d be happy to share a few photos with you.

Posted by
404 posts

Hi Tammy, My daughter and I did this walk in May 2023. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We booked with Malaga Activa tours. I found them on either GYG or Viator but booked directly. The meeting place was a 10-15 min walk from our hotel (Molina Lario). There were only about 8 of us plus the guide (who was awesome) in a minivan. I am not big on heights, but did fine. The hanging bridge at the end was the scariest for me. Just looked straight ahead not down :)

Highly recommended.

Posted by
1560 posts

“ I don't really like heights, but if there is a railing I will be fine.”

In that case I urge you to check out as many photos and videos as you can find. Your idea of a railing might not be what you’ll find at the Caminito del Rey. I walked the Caminito del Rey several years ago. I really loved it, but I’m absolutely fine with heights. I saw several people who were really uncomfortable and unhappy. Some wanted to go back, which isn’t possible. I’m not saying it’s unsafe, because I never felt unsafe. But someone who’s afraid of or uncomfortable with heights might feel differently.

Posted by
404 posts

The "railing" is a fairly thick wire cable. You can't really hold onto like a regular railing as it is pinned along the face of the rocks. I was able to lightly hold it running my hand along for most of the way. It was just me and one other woman in our group with the height issues. We both were fine. We pretty much hugged towards the wall, BUT it a narrow path and if you need to be able to hold on tightly to something, you may want to rethink as Dutch Traveler noted, once you start you can't go back.

Posted by
1560 posts

Please understand I’m not saying this to discourage you from going, but you did mention you don’t like heights and need a railing. And the truth is that there isn’t really much of a railing. Like Joann wrote, the railing is nothing more than a thick cable. For me the height, or rather depth, was part of the fun and excitement. But like I said, we saw several people who clearly weren’t having any fun at all. The path is one way only and is 8 km’s long. That’s quite a long distance to be unhappy…

Posted by
389 posts

Unless you actually have acrophobia, you will be fine. Just take your time. I don’t even like step ladders, am well past 70, and loved it!

Posted by
3514 posts

Thank you all for your concern. I have seen photos of the railing and I will be fine. I've been skydiving 8 times, so I do like to scare myself! lol

Posted by
404 posts

I've been skydiving 8 times, so I do like to scare myself! If you can do that, you will be fine. How did that work out for you? One of my daughters has been trying to talk me into skydiving for years!

Posted by
17 posts

We walked the Caminitio del Rey this year, February, taking public transportation from Malaga. Buy your tickets as soon as they are available, it's very popular and the tickets sell out. It will be crowded, even in February. Would also recommend buying your round trip train tickets in advance if using public transportation. The train was not full, however we ran across some individuals who had "hopped" the train since they were not able to purchase train tickets, since they were technically sold out. I think some individuals buy the cheap train tickets in advance, but don't necessarily use them.

Here's train information. "Malaga-El Chorro-Caminito del Rey"
https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/prepare-your-trip/trains-mid-distance-avant/servicios-proximidad