Please sign in to post.

Caminito Del Rey

We will be flying out of Malaga and the day before our 6 am flight, we plan to go to El Chorro and walk the Caminito Del Rey. Our tickets are for 12:10 and we bought train tickets to arrive at 9:37. And then leave El Chorro at 4:39 pm. Our plan is to arrive at the start point around 11:00 and see if we can start the walk before our official time, but if not, no big deal. If we do start early, there is a train that heads back at 1:50 pm. There are limited trains to and from El Chorro and I tend to get a bit nervous that we will miss a train, it will get canceled etc. especially since we need to get back that day because of that early flight.

So, if we get done early, can we use our tickets for the prior train? If not, is there a ticket machine by the station or can we pay on the train? The 1:50 train is coming from Seville and is considered a train that requires reservations.
And if things go wrong and we are not able to catch a train back, what are our options? I'm a worrier and like to have a backup plan in the worst case scenario, even if it is most likely not to happen. That just helps me relax knowing that i have things covered :)

And, for those who have walked the del rey recently, is there anything to share that would be helpful? I'm very much looking forward to it .

Posted by
361 posts

What month are you going? I went the first week of October and melted it was very hot for me, we started about 10:00. The entrance was packed and there was no way to enter early. You get a hair net and helmet and wait in a gated "Pen" for your start time. There is security all along the trail to make sure everybody follows the rules. We drove so I can't help you with train/bus connections. We did use the bus from the exit parking lot to take us up to the entrance. That way we could just drive off when we exited rather than cram into a hot bus for the ride back to the entrance parking lot. Bring change to buy the bus tickets. J

Posted by
241 posts

Walking El Caminito del Rey was the highlight of our trip to Andalucia in September! We drove from Malaga, so cannot help re: train. We were there on the 8th with a start time of 9:30A. We wore shorts and tee shirts, were freezing at the start and then very comfortable throughout. We estimate the total time we spent, from the bus at the parking - walking - and bus back to parking, was about four hours. As @joanne1108 describes, there is a bottleneck when you get to the entrance. But, the staff were very kind and helpful. My guess is that if you show up early and are patient you may be able enter early. Good luck!

Posted by
241 posts

PS - There are restrooms at the entrance but then none until after you exit.

Posted by
1078 posts

We are going at the end of February, so I don't expect it to be hot. I had read that in some cases, if not part of a tour, that individuals had been allowed to join an earlier group. Thanks for letting me know about the restroom situation.