Please sign in to post.

Caminito del Rey

Looking for advice on how to plan reservations for walking Caminito del Rey. We will have a car and will drive up from Malaga. Am wondering how much time to allow for the drive, to park, and then to access entrance to the walk (i.e., how to figure what time to reserve?). Any experience-based feedback on the time the walk typically takes would also be great. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
361 posts

Park at the bottom/end of the hike then bus to the top/start, then hike and when your done you can just get in your car turn on the aircon an drive away. You buy tickets on-line for your date and start time. With the drive it will take you the better part of your day. The hike was about 3 hours. No reason to use a guild. There are employees all along the hike that make sure you keep your helmets on and stay on the trail. Bring water. There are outhouses. J

Posted by
241 posts

Thank you so much for your reply. It looks as though there are three parking areas. Are you referring to parking area 2, the El Chorro exit?

Posted by
361 posts

I am sorry I don't know the name it was just over the river bridge on the left at the start of a campground. You walk thru the campground and up a short hill to the bus stop. Follow everybody else. Have change to give the driver as they will not have change on the bus. The bus will drop you at the entrance of the hike, just a short walk down a dirt path, again follow everybody else. It was only a year ago but the name is gone from my brain. I think you could look at google maps and fine it.

Posted by
241 posts

Thanks again, joanne1108.

I just read today that there is a new visitor center at Caminito del Rey that opened in early 2023. Per the Caminito del Rey website there is a parking lot there and the shuttle then takes you to where the walk to the entrance starts. Arriving one hour ahead is recommended. The website also mentions the other, previous, options. So, I am even more confused now. Has anyone had experience with parking at the new visitor center?

Posted by
79 posts

Last May we drove from Malaga past the visitor centre and around the traffic circle to the Restaurant el Mirador Ardales and parked around there for free and walked the 15-20 min to the kiosk where walks start. Try and book as early as possible. I recall it was about 1.15 hour drive but depends on where you start! I would think the parking and shuttle from the new centre would be fine. It took us about 3 hr on our own and we caught a shuttle back to near where we parked. Have fun!

Posted by
241 posts

Thanks so much. This is helpful. I do wonder where the new visitor center is in relation to where you were last May or, if despite info that the new visitor just opened this year, it is the same place. Regardless, we are excited for our visit.

Posted by
79 posts

The visitor Center is about 10 minutes before where we parked by the restaurant for free. To get there take second exit in the traffic circle at the vis cent and not the first exit which goes to town. Check out Google maps in satellite. Shows the restaurant etc. take layers as was cool first thing in mid May but warms by the end!