Please sign in to post.

Cadiz

The Rick Steeves tour book for Spain does not have Cadiz listed in the index; consequently there is no info on this port city.
Our cruise will spend a day there. Is the city worth a day of exploring or should we venture out of town? Does Rick's omssion have any hidden meaning?

Posted by
8 posts

I am quoting Lonely Planet's book on Spain: "Cadiz...is generally considered to be the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in Europe. Now well into its fourth millennium, the ancient centre, surrounded almost entirely by water, is a romantic hodgepodge of sinuous streets where Atlantic waves crash...beaches stretch for miles....Enamoured return visitors talk fondly of its seafood, surfing, and cache of intriguing churches and museums..."

I plan on visiting the city even though Rick Steves, as you say, doesn't list it in his book. Look it up at on Lonely Planet's website.

Buen viaje!

Posted by
796 posts

I have done some reading in many other travel books. I plan to visit Cadiz after a RS tour. I plan to stay one night; it appears there are a number of sights to see. The seaside looks so inviting!

Posted by
12172 posts

My personal opinion is Cadiz was disappointing. My Father-in-Law said it was his favorite, but I believe he went during Carnival which Cadiz is somewhat known for. I was excited to go, because it is such an old city, but the past isn't preserved and the present isn't in very good shape.

I've read that Cadiz has an interesting old center. If so, I didn't find it. The town was run down and depressing, the Cathedral looked more like a homeless shelter or old train station. It had netting about 15 feet above the floor with lots of pigeons flying in and out of broken windows above and their droppings distributed on window sills, walls, etc.

At the end of the peninsula is a fairly nice looking area where small fishing boats are either anchored or pulled up on the sand. It has a little road out to a small contemporary fort, I believe Spanish navy - but the fort is closed to the public.

Outside of that area, the "beach" on the ocean side is only about ten feet wide. Next to the beach is a wall then a line of hotels (think some of the mid-Atlantic beach towns without the beaches). On the bay side, the big sight is the Port of Santa Maria on the far side. It's a bustling industrial port - but not good to look at.

There is an okay park but it's not kept very well and not better than any of a hundred other parks around Spain.

I also complain about Rick's limited scope in his guidebooks. In the case of Cadiz, I wouldn't add it to mine either - which is a real shame.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's omission means that he doesn't think Cadiz makes the cut of the top month or two of general sightseeing in Spain. It doesn't mean that he would not explore it if his ship docked there. Possible side trips by train could be to Jerez de la Frontera (34 minutes each way) or to Sevilla (1.5 hours each way). If you have the time, Sevilla has more to see and a more charming atmosphere; sorry, I can't compare Cadiz.

Posted by
1546 posts

We are booked on a transatlantic next year that stops in Cadiz. I booked an excursion to Seville with Spaindaytours. Check them out - they get great reviews.

Posted by
15582 posts

I knew of Brad's opinion before I went, as a day trip from Jerez, and I came away with the same impression. I was there for the opening Sunday of Carnival, so there was a lot more going on than usual, which added to the experience. Without Carnival, I would probably not have spent an entire day there.

Consider taking the train to Jerez and spending the day there. Take a tour at a sherry bodega, catch the horse show at the Royal Stables if it's the right day of the week, visit the cathedral and the alcazar. It's a pleasant, low-key town.

Posted by
23262 posts

Brad is close. I think it is a little better but not by much. Typical European sea side city. The one thing they do well is their walking tours. From the TI there are a number of walking tour loops. Each with it own color and it is paint right on the sidewalk. Easy to follow and hard to get lost as long as you are not color blind. However, it is easy to use the train and bus to get out of the city as explained above.

Posted by
212 posts

Rick doesn't include a lot of towns - don't read anything into his omission. Look, we've stopped in Cadiz many times on transatlantic crossings. You're only really there from 8am'ish to 4pm'ish ... don't attempt too much ... you'll check a lot of boxes but not end up seeing much. My suggestion ... take a ship tour to Jerez in the morning to see the sherry bodegas or the horses, or both. Yes, you can schedule your own tour but why bother ... you won't save enough money to make the extra hassle worth it. Then spend the rest of your day exploring Cadiz. It's a nice town ... maybe not for multiple nights, but great for half a day. When you return to Spain (as I hope you will), rent an apartment in Seville. It's a wonderful city but your visit will be wasted if you attempt to make a one-day visit ... you will spend 1.5 hours each way getting there.

Posted by
372 posts

I'm just back from 2 nights in Cadiz, and I loved it! I think as a 1 day cruise ship stop it is perfect. The dock is right downtown. We spend one whole day circumnavigating the entire old town along the beautiful seaside walk. This was a city that we felt was the type of place where people actually lived and worked. We also did a couple of the T1 walks and enjoyed them . There are lots of sunny plazas to enjoy a drink or coffee, and the market was fun to poke around. I would stay put rather than get on a bus for an excursion.

Posted by
7175 posts

Kathleen I'm glad somebody else enjoyed Cadiz as I did. It get's a fair bit of negative on here.