Please sign in to post.

Caceres

What is the best way to visiting Cáceres from Madrid-train, bus or a tour.
If tour, any recommendations? If we decide to go by train, any recommendations re tour guides once we get there? Thanks

Posted by
27623 posts

Caceres is about 185 miles from Madrid. The Renfe website (renfe.com) isn't working for me right now, but I think the travel time by train is between 3 and 4 hours, which isn't bad for the distance being covered. It isn't in any case a day trip, because there's too much to see in Caceres not to spend some nights there.

I don't know anything about multi-day tours to that area.

Posted by
188 posts

My visit to Cáceres was in 2006, so I'm not exactly up-to-date, but I recall it being a great city to see. I agree with acraven; it deserves at least two nights, and possibly more (I think I stayed four) -- especially if (as I recommend) you also visit the historic town of Trujillo, a modest bus ride from Cáceres. And yes, I would recommend going to Cáceres by train.
I would never discourage anyone from hiring a tour guide; many local people make good livings as tour guides, and hiring one is a good way to put a little more money into the local economy. But at the same time you may not really need one for Cáceres -- a good recent Spain guidebook may be sufficient, though maybe there are a few little secret things about Cáceres (or any city) that only a good guide will know.

Posted by
7024 posts

Like my response to your Mérida query. I don’t see Cáceres as a day trip from Madrid. If you had sufficient nights to stay in Cáceres, Mérida is only an hour from it.